Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Lost sense of smell and MRI / CT scan are negative

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I've had a loss of sense of smell (I'd guess 85%) and some loss of taste (50%) starting about 6-7 months ago and more pronounced (but stabilized) now. After visiting my ENT who ruled out nasal polyps, I've had an MRI w/contrast and a CT scan w/o contrast...both were negative. My ENT says he can't really do much else for me, though he did suggest trying to re-train my sense of smell by sniffing things having different and distinctive scents. From the beginning, I suspected maybe a long-term reaction to my cholesterol and blood pressure meds (lipitor & a diuretic). Also (and this is really reaching), last fall I was really sick for several days after I got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot at the same time.
I'd appreciate and feedback and suggestions about what else I might try. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply