Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Loss of pigment in fingers

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hey, and thanks in advance for any help or infomation you can offer.
Recently, I've noticed I have been losing pigment from the skin on my fingers, mainly in small patches.
It's particularly concerning as a younger sibling suffers from vitiligo.
Any help or infomation is incredibly welcome, and if you require anymore infomation don't hesitate to ask!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2009
Experienced User
Have you been to a dermatologist? I've heard there are some (unfortunately not many) medications to help with Vitiligo. There is a genetic link, so it is possible that you have it as well.

There is a lot of information online, as well. You might want to look around and make up a list of questions to ask the doctor, especially regarding any new treatments.
|

replied May 8th, 2009
Hi, Lydia.
I haven't visited a dermatoligist nor my local GP, due to the fact it's not very widespread at the moment. There are only three or four patches and they are reasonably small. I was just curious if there was any other possible reason for such loss.
Thanks for your speedy response.
|

replied May 8th, 2009
Experienced User
I don't know if there is something else that could cause loss of pigment, but since you have a family history of Vitiligo, that is probably what it is. I would go to the doctor sooner, rather than later. Most treatments for most things (not just this) work better the earlier you start.

Perhaps you can even get into some kind of study or clinical trial. This seems rare enough that they would probably be looking for candidates. However, that's only if you are interested in doing something like that. Just a thought.

Good luck.
|
Tags: loss, skin
Quick Reply