Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Loss of muscle control in hips ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
This question is for my father. He is 73 years old and in pretty good health and very active. He has experienced a temporary loss of muscle control in his hips. For a short period while standing straight his hips would move involuntarily from the center to either left or right. They would move all the way out as far as they would go. I have never heard of this nor has he and we would appreciate any help. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2009
crazy hips
So your father is experiencing some hip dysfunction. Many people call "hips" different things and point to different areas when they describe them. When you say hips I am assuming you mean the ball and socket joint of the upper thigh. From your description of the symptoms it sounds like his hips are dislocating out of the socket.
If this is so then a proper examination would be warranted. It is suggested to have an orthopedic examination and possibly x-rays of the hips by an orthopedist or a chiropractor for further evaluation.
Depending on the cause/problem treatments will vary.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.