Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Loss of Cervical Lordosis-Muscular Spasm

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi everyone,

This is Deepthi, 26yrs old. From more than a year i am having back and neck pain. Now i am having pain in my hands and legs too(esp in wrist & toes). People around me says that the pain what i am undergoing might be due to SPONDYlITIS. Recently i have undergone for cervical spine(AP/LAT) and the result shows : LOSS OF CERVICAL LORDOSIS-MUSCULAR SPASM. And doctor has asked me to go through some medical tests too. I want to know what problem am i having and what does LOSS OF CERVICAL LORDOSIS-MUSCULAR SPASM mean.

Thanks in advance. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Deepz
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Deepz,

There is a normal curve in the cervical spine. It is called lordosis, because of the way it curves. If the cervical spine is straighter than normal, then it is called a loss of the lordosis. The most common reason for it is muscle spasm. The muscles contract, causing the spine to straighten.

The report does not list any other problems within the spine. Which is good.

Hope you find a reason for the spasm and it resolves soon. Good luck.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
Thanks Gaelic,

I would like to know What kinda treatment i should undergo for this. Is this related to spondylitis? Do i need to take any bed rest.
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Deepz,

The spasm is usually treated with massage, muscle relaxants, cervical traction, and physical therapy. Bed rest is very rarely recommended for any spinal condition now days. It has been found to cause more problems, as the patient deconditions, the spinal problems becomes worse. Bedrest leads to muscle atrophy, cardiac deconditioning, problems with the pulmonary system, GI tract, and skin. So, except in very rare cases, is bed rest ever advocated.

Spondylitis is a specific disorder of the spine. It is an inflammatory process. Spondylitis can cause spasms in the cervical spine.

If you do have spondylitis, you should be under the care of a rheumatologist, or someone who can prescribe the appropriate antiinflammatory medication for the problem. The most well known spondylitis is ankylosing spondylitis, but there are other ones also.

You should speak with your physician about the proper medication and therapy. Good luck.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
Thanks Gaelic,

For such a valuable information. Smile
|

replied October 15th, 2012
hiiiiii deepz......
|

replied October 15th, 2012
hii deepzzz.this is kiran 27 male.....
i have same problem of neck what u have have?
u doing any treatment?any medicine?
how are you now?reply must.......?
if fine please answer me
what to be done?
|