Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Losing weight too fast

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
I've been a Type 2 diabetic for over 25 years. I am a male and my age is 69. My blood sugar has been under control for over 15 years by using only 10 units of insulin. My last blood test was 6.0 on the A1C. Had a battery of blood tests, all Good. No other medical conditions. Three months ago I had severe fungal infection in 1 ear and was mistreated by 2 doctors for a bacteria infection. Was on 3 different antibiotics. The 3rd doctor finally diagnosed the infection as fungal and was properly treated and cleared up in 10 days. Now for the problem of losing weight constantly. I lost 10 pounds over the ordeal and thought it was caused by stress since I was losing my hearing. Started a big effort to put the weight back on and have been doing so for over a month. I go to bed at night and when I get up, 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. are lost over night. This has been going on every day since. The doctor told me no treadmill and has me taking Glucerna 2 times a day. I have been bicycling 1 day a week and doing stretching exercises most every day. For someone who has always had to control weight gain, this is a complete reversal. Does anyone know why my metabolism has shifted like this and what can I do to stop this weight lost. Thank you, Jim
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
What has the Dr. said? Do you test your own blood? What are your levels like? Could the antibiotics have done something? I don't know the answer, I'm not a Dr. but I would be checking into it definitely. Let us know what you find and Good luck.
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Eating like a horse
Thanks for the reply, aflsh. Yes, I test my own blood. Controls have been good last blood test 6 wks ago. Dr. ordered all kind of lab tests, but showed nothing. He told my wife to try stuffing me up to see if I could retain some weight which I am now doing. It's a real battle eating all the food but still the weight comes off at nighttime. It's like eating 3 lbs. of food a day. Hate to see the cholestrol numbers next time.Someone suggested eating yogurt which I am now into. No change but maybe it's too soon. When I see the doctor next, he said he was going to be checking into the pancreas functions to see if there's a problem. I could be very rich if I could find out how one loses 2 lbs. over night, every night. Will let the forum know if and when I find out what's going on with me. Thanks again, Jim
|

replied March 6th, 2009
Consider Type I
Type I diabetics used to starve to death as no matter how much they ate, their cells couldn't use the glucose in their bloodstream without sufficient insulin for its uptake into the interior of the cells where the glucose is converted into ATP for direct use as energy. You can be very well fed and starve through the hormonal deficiencies! (Insulin is a hormone.) What are your pre and post-meal glucose levels? If they are high and yet you are losing weight, you need further investigation and an antibody test/glucagon test to determine if you have become a Type I, or if you simply need more insulin. Is it worth considering whether you have insufficient glucose uptake, or to be screened for cancer? Cancer cells consume huge amounts of energy. Good luck with pursuing a diagnosis...
|