Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Lose weight before getting pregnant ?

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
User Profile
My husband and I are ttc and have been for about 6 months. I am 23 years old and 160 pounds, so I have about 40-50 pounds that I would like to get off, and have been trying to do so for 3 years, through workout and diet. The problem is that my number consistantly goes up and I am getting frusterated. We have decided that this is the time in our lives to start a family, but I am really worried that I will just gain more weight that will be impossible to get off. I have a slightly underactive thyroid, but I haven't found a doctor that will give me medication for it (the normal TSH range is .30-3.0 and mine is 3.05) so I am guessing this is the cause for my weight gain. If I do decide to lose weight first, how much should I lose before getting pregnant?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2009
Supporter
Studies have shown that losing weight helps obese women to conceive. I don't know how much it would help you out. I doubt that 40- 50 lbs would mess up your hormones enough to prevent conception.
You can try it though. Just keep in mind that you don't want to be on any medication while you're pregnant or you risk miscarriage, birth defects, low birth weight... Talk to your gyno before going on any kind of medicine to lose weight.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2009
Thanks! From what i have heard medication for hypothyroidism is something that doesn't harm a baby, but since I am so close to normal, I doubt I will find a doctor who will give me the thyroid medicine anyhow. As far as losing weight I will continue to modify my lifestyle until I can get some results.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2009
Supporter
You're welcome.
Happy Baby Making!
baby
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Supporter
How tall are you?

Losing some weight for pregnancy without compromising nutrition of vitamins and folic acid would definitely provide you with a chance of having a very successful pregnancy, so lifestyle modifications are a good start.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
thanks for the advice! I am actually just over 5 feet tall, so the 160 on someone taller wouldn't be quite so bad, but since I am so short it is about 35 pounds outside of my healthy range. I would like to lose at least that before getting pregnant because I know that if I am 160 now I could easiy be 180 or more after the baby came!
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Maybe but not always
Your current weight does have something to do with how fertile you are but there are many, many other factors as well. Weight is just one small factor - especially in your case because your BMI is not that high.

If you are trying to lose weight and get pregnant at the same time it is important that you work out but also eat well. Certain foods will help increase fertility and will be important to your baby once you get pregnant. Folic acid, fibre, omega 3s and vitamin D are just a few examples of things you should not be skimping on. Working out will not only make you more energetic but it may also increase your sex drive. If you can, work out with your partner so you are on the same page.

Keep trying and do not give up! Once you do get pregnant, vary your exercise routine just a bit and continue to eat well for both you and baby.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
thanks! I have been on a prenatal vitamin too for the past few months. I have slowly been getting my workout routine on track, now I walk outside at least an hour a day and bike to and from classes which takes about 30 minutes. I have completely given up drinking soda and alcohol, and I am really trying to stick to a healthy diet which is more of a lifestyle change then a diet where you don't eat anything. My hope is that if I do get pregnant before I lose all the weight I want to that my lifestyle changes will help me get the weight off after the birth.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
I actually got really into working out before getting pregnant and felt much better about myself. Like, you I wanted to lose 30 plus pounds which seemed like a huge obstacle ahead of me. The weight started coming off when I ate smaller portions of everything and started working out regularly (4-5 days per week at least 1 hour per day).

Once my baby is born I hope to drop back to my pre pregnancy weight by Christmas and then drop another 20 pounds or so. I have a positive attitude and you should as well because it really does help.

Good luck with the trying and losing! You will see results soon!
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
or you may be lucky and lose it while pregnant.

that sounded bad

what i meant is morning sickness. I lost 15 pounds during morning sickness. Which helped me because I gained about 40 pounds during my pregnancy. it helped me get a head start on losing it too...lol

but theres nothing wrong with becoming healthy before baby..all it will do is help you and your child. And you will feel better about yourself. Cause late in pregnancy its hard to not feel fat and hard to not dread the weight loss ahead
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Rosie: yeah thats true, it could happen! You got lucky:O) I can totally see myself getting discouraged and self conscious late in a pregnancy! I think I will try to get healthy and keep trying and if it happens, great!

Agoodwoman: Wow good job losing some weight and I hope you have luck with the rest you want to lose! I hope it happens like that for me! I'll try cutting my portions like you did!
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
i gained 100 lbs with my first pregnancy and 80 with my second. my children are 1 and 3 years old. i weighed about 140 when i got pregnant the first time. i did weight watchers while nursing and then did the lean for life eating program after. weight watchers doesn't let me drop below 150 and i am comfortable and 130. i know weigh 130. it took about 8 months for me to loose all the weight with both pregnancies. i had c-sections with both and was put on bed rest at 5 months gestation with both babies. i was flubber, on a ton of meds and totally unhappy. the lean for life program has been a life saver for me and my lifestyle after babies!!! i learned about it by taking classes at a hospital way before conceiving. the dr.'s were reccomending the book to anyone needing to lose weight effectively and quickly and safely. i swear by it. at 235 pounds, i was worried. i wish i could share my story with all the moms and moms to be that there is really something out there that works that isn't a fad diet. the dr.s were right. it isn't recommend for women that are pregnant, but if you want to lose weight before ttc, then it just might be for you. i never did go to a weight watchers meeting. i just read the points on the weight watchers scale and book i bought off of ebay! i ordered lean for life through lindora.com. i never dreamed at 32 i would be back to my early 20's weight and feeling like a million bucks...when i get sleep!!! hope this helps!
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2009
Hi fred,

Eat everything and you will not snack as often. I also found that drinking a big glass of water or eating a small apple was helpful when I was getting started. Weight loss is a big deal to so many of us and it is so hard! By combining working out and eating less you will succeed!

When you do start losing you will feel better. When you are feeling better you will have better sex and that will only lead to even more good things. What a wonderful circle! Smile
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
"The Eat Clean Diet" book by Tosca Reno is another good tool to help change your eating lifestyle. It says diet in the title but it really changes the way you look at food and tells you exactly what to eat and what to stay away from. In my opinion there is nothing better than being healthy going into a pregnancy. Oh I forgot.. She also has a cookbook and a workout book. Both are great!
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2009
wow thanks guys! What great advide, I will check out both the cook book and the other toca reno items and the lean for life program! That must have been frusterating to be on bed rest and gaining weight, but awesome job losing it! what a terrific story!

agoodwoman: I just can't imagine being comfortable in my own skin, I haven't had that in a while, I really think it could help in all areas on my life!
|