Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Long Term Swollen Glands/Nodes in neck under center jawline

I really need some input concerning a pair of swollen glands or lymph nodes I have under my jawline; center of jaw. These swollen lumps have been present for over 10 years on both sides of my neck. The left side has always been a bit larger; left side is probably 1.5-2 CM squared, right side is 1-1.25 cm in size, both are palpable, movable and rubbery/firm in consistancy.

A little back ground: had chronic inner ear infections as a child and had tonsils and adnoids removed at around 12 yrs old, had two lower wisdom teeth removed around age 19, diagnosed with TMJ (grind teeth) at around 35. I started noticing the nodes around age 25 after a nasty bout with bronchitis and viral infection; it seemed as though when I was sick they would swell and not shrink back to there normal size. So over the years they have grown a bit but only after illness. They are somewhat sore and achy probably because I constantly probe them.

I've been to the doctor and never had the glands specifically looked at but seem to check out okay after blood work etc. There are no other symptoms related to the swollen glands other than occassional anxiety over worrying over them.

My question is, what are the possible causes of these swollen glands? Is some sort of cancer a realistic outcome given the leangth of time present and lack of other symptoms?

Any responses are greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Very interesting but I'm going through this with my son - who is 5 years old. Same as you, chronic ear infections and grinds his teeth ALL THE TIME at night. He has had an ultra sound, blood work and chest xrays and so far everything is coming back normal. We are now headed to an ENT. Since your post, have you found out anything else?
|

replied September 14th, 2009
I am heading for bloodwork and a chect x-ray this Wednesday. Any news on the ENT appoinment?
|

replied November 30th, 2011
swollen hard glands but not painful often
this is weird this is the first post that sounds exactly like my situation too- ear/ tonsil chronic problems as a child, sore throats n ill all the time, now im grown- teeth grind and sore swollen lumps that never seem to go down- but often they are just swollen and hard not painful- why are they so hard? went to the doctor and he said even though it might not be anything he would send me to hospital and have them removed!!! but i think that is tooo drastic- they aren't that painful and havent grown in ages- they are just hard rubbery lumps... did you guys get remedy? any friendly advice?... i feel like i want to try something to draw out whatever is causing them to swell- people say oil pulling is helpful... might try that...
|