Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

long term effects of menengitis

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
i need help please I left a message last night. My son had menengitis when he was three, he is now thirty one.He ended up with seizures which are controlled by meds. Headaches. Memorey problems. Chronic bladder problems. Walks slightly off balance. Posture is not right. All and all he is doing well but could you tell me if as he grew into adulthood if a person could aquire a personality disorder Please let me know
Thank you
pcollesano307
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BGBrown1960
|

replied September 11th, 2010
could someone please answer my post for pcollesano307 sept 10th
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2010
Experienced User
pcollesano307
Hi, I'm not a Dr. and think you should have him assessed again. Some personality disorders show up in men around 30s like my brother. It could be something related, something new or even a side effect from a medicine. One medication I was on for seizures was really bad for me, my marriage and kids...I was angry all the time and not very nice to be around. My husband had talked about it with a friend who's wife was on the same med and said she was miserable to live with. I got off the med or changed it and felt a ton better. You don't want to just stop seizure meds suddenly as that can be bad, so please go see a Dr. Are the symptoms you mentioned recent or ones he's had since he was young? If new, I'd definitely go see a neurologist asap. Best wishes. CharlieJane
|

replied October 10th, 2010
My son had meningitis when he was 5. He is now 40. he has severe anxiety/panic attacks. He has struggled with all kinds of the typical long term side effects. He has had a difficulty holding down a job. Recently he has started to have dizzy spells and falls.
Because of lack of finances he has not sought medical assistance.
I hear that there is financial help for people like my son. Is this true?
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi grco,
I am very concerned about the dizzy spells and falls. That can be a very serious sign of something wrong. It may also be something less serious, like Virtigo; but, that being said, I would suggest he see a doctor right away. Panic/anxiety can get worse if not treated with medication. There are some medications that will help and your doctor can guide you to what would be best for him. If you look on Google under Meningitis financial help, there will be some ideas to look into for financial assistance.
I am not a doctor, but I feel he needs to be seen ASAP. Best Wishes, CharlieJane
|

replied October 15th, 2010
i got meningitis when i was 29 i am now 39 and still suffer from sever headaches dizziness and find it hard to sleep . the worse part is memory loss wich is terrible on medication for headaches but nothing has really worked in 10 years still trying different things with my doctor and the hospital bit of luck something will eventually help .paul
|

replied February 15th, 2011
I am 33 years old now. At 6 months I had meningitis and almost died. My whole life I had trouble learning and remember things. I figured it was because I suffered from ADD or something similiar. Nothing ever tied into meningitis. I often found myself waking up in the middle of the night lying on the floor and could never figure out why. About the age of 23, I woke up one morning on the floor covered in bruises and scrapes all over my back and legs. Although I did not know it at the time, it turned out that I had seizures throughout the night and had fallen off the bed. It wasn't until I was 25 that someone had witnessed me spacing out that I got it checked out. All this time I had been having seizures and not knowing it. I was put on medication which would work for a time and then eventually, they would stop working and either have to be changed or more added. My life is becoming unbearable. I constantly space out and get headaches. When this happens people say I start to mumble and they can't understand me. I even forget how to read and for a short period, I can't pernounce words and they all blur together. I am now seeing a doctor at Mass General in Boston who has discovered that the left side of my brain has scarring from the meningitis I had as a baby. They are contemplating a type of serguery that removes the scarring and can supposebly stop the symtems. I am told that there is a 70% chance of it being successful. I am not sure what to do. It could also not guarentee the problem being fixed or that I could even lose more I my memory than I already have. It is deffinately something to look into because I don't know how long I can bear this. Maybe it's worth it in hopes that my body has a chance to repair itself. Is there anyone who would chose to disagree with me or even offer advice.
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2012
I have very similar situation. I havent been diagnosed with seizures till mid 20s but revealed then that i had them since i was at least 11 with meningitis. Reading is hard unless its quick reading like internet. I mumble speak a LOT words run-on a LOT and I never know I am until others mention it to me. Not so much getting lost with physical stuff with seizures as you. I DO get very lost in neighborhood though sometimes. Words gets stopped before they hit the mouth. I know the words but it just doesn't "work" sometimes. I've had brain surgery down the line to save my life, but it feels like no change with thinking minus it repaired a stroke.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
I had Spinal Meningitis when I was about 18 months old. I had to learn how to re-walk and I have hear loss in my right ear and have always been accident pron. Now I'm 42 and have headaches, mucsle cramps, light headed, and taking meds for anxiety. I'm wonder if this is from the Meningitis? I would like to find information about long term symptoms.
|

replied March 31st, 2012
good day!
my son had a meningitis when he was 2months old baby. is that possible to carry all this side effects now? he is 4 yrs old now. as i observe his action. he is always angry. always shouting. lack of patient. and sometimes he did not remember where did he put his toys.
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2012
Experienced User
I had spinal meningitis several times when I was around 6 months old, I am now 17 years old, so far I haven't had any real problems, I would like to know if there is any possibility of me having side effects in the future and would like to know how your family members have done, I am concerned I might have some of these in the future, feel free to pm me.
|

replied May 7th, 2012
my name is bill i am 51 years old i had bactieral spinel meningitis at 6 months old the doctors in 1960 told my dad to prepare funeral arangments i would not make it untill morning but hear i am all my life i have had respretory problems i wet the bed untill i was 11 they said it setteld in my kidneys i worked in physically demanding job for the last 30 years i am now disabeld i am on anxyiety meds blatter problems parifeal nuropthy i have always had a very hard time with math some times writing is hard for me what i am thinking is not what i write my spelling is bad i have had many problems for the last 12 years with pain in my joints i had to take prednazone for 2 years i gaind 30 lbs in just a few months i have also had rmsf hospital told my wife to come for last rites i would not make it through the night and yet hear i sit god must have somthing he wants me to do and i have hep c i cant walk without a cane i dont sleep well at all memery no good eather i gained a nouther 40 lbs docters say ther are no long term affects from eather one of theas death bed illneses i am on alot of meds i dont remember the last time i felt good gotta stop now having a hard time i hope this helps someone BILL
|