Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Long-lasting bowel movements

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I am a 30 year old white male, 6ft tall and way approx 13 stones.

I take a dump on average once daily. For approximately 8 or more years each bowel movement takes me around 20 to 30 minutes from start to finish. I will describe it in 3 stages. Stage 1, i feel the need to go, with little problem out comes the stool, however, i must stay seated as i know there is always more to come, even if i feel i'm done. Stage 2, sometimes i have to wait only two minutes, sometimes up to ten minutes, and quite often i have to press on my stomach or, dare i say it, double wrap some toilet paper and stick a finger up inside to get the next part out. Often what comes out has little form to it and is only 1/3rd the amount of the original stool. Sometimes it can be mud like, or diarrhea like, or thinish and pencil shaped. Often after this second stage is a third stage. Stage 3, this works just the same as stage 2 but usually consits of much less than stage 2 did.
This whole process can take up to 45 minutes, with an average time of approximately 25 minutes. My wife is always saying she does not understand why i take so long, "if you need to go, just go, why so long" she asks? I would never explain it as i have done here, i just brush of the question.
I should point out that over the past 3 years i have also had what i believe to be some sort of IBS. Occassionally, very shortly after eating a meal, my stomach goes crazy and i have to find a toilet immeadiately. When i get there, i would best describe the scene as something similar to watching a water baloon burst. Within seconds of sitting down, everything just burts out, diarrhea style.
Also, for around ten years, and only very occassionaly, i can see small traces of blood on the toilet paper. And just over 2 months ago right at the entrance to my anus i could feel a very small bean sized lump. Over a week it got smaller and smaller and i think it has dissapeared. I am sure from my web searches this is hemorrhoids, though i do not think it is the cause of my bad bowel movements as i have had that problem ongoing for 8 or more years.
I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to give me your thoughts on what the problem may be. I am aware that i could improve my diet, but i do not feel i am that bad of an eater.

Awaiting your responses

Kind regards
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Your symptoms are very suggestive for IBS.
Early morning (first thing in the morning or very soon after breakfast) rush to the toilet with bowel movement in form of diarrhea, difficulty eliminating the stool, feeling of incomplete defecation, are symptoms of IBS.
The blood on the toilet paper is most likely due to hemorrhoids you have.
They develop as a result of chronic constipation or straining and sitting on the toilet seat for prolonged periods of time when defecating like in your case.
Try to increase the fiber intake in your diet, but do it gradually.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Constipation, anal fissure, sphincterotomy, diet, eating habits
Because of the fact that there is blood on the toilet paper on cleaning up after a bowel movement is evidence that an Anal Fissure has occurred. I am currently recovering from a Sphincterotomy to heal a lengthy anal fissure, brought on by my previous-poor nutrition-habits. Diet has a great influence on what goes on at the exit. Keeping stools soft and continuous is vitally important. Many factors are involved which include: a high fiber-nutritious-diet, smaller and more numerous meals, not drinking an hour before and after meals, masticating all foods to the consistency of a liquid, staying hydrated between meals, walking or light exercising after each meal, eating no constipating foods (google for a list), and many more suggestions, advice and methods that are available on the internet. Seek and you will find out how to normalize your life. It is essential! "Plan your meals and ingest your plans!" Stay healthy, you have important work to do and your well-being depends on it!'
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Sphincterotomy and fissureotomy recovery
Upon receiving a sphincterotomy and fissureotomy, performed by an accomplished colorectal surgeon seven days ago, I discovered that the road to recovery will be more lengthy than I have read and anticipated about. My comprehensive observation is that there is a sensitive relationship between the reoccurring BM-pain and nutrition. We have to eat to stay healthy and cure this condition. Food is collected in the colon, traveling through the anal canal, eventually passing by the rehabilitating sphincter and fissure, and terminally evacuating the waste out of the body. It is a double-edged sword which hopingly heals with grace, rapidity and diminishes in time. The quantity and quality of food and liquid choices is relative to the elimination functions. I have found that the less use of the anus that has to perform, the less pain and more healing will take place. Less is best! Although I have been informed by an experienced nutrition/medical advisor-friend and my doctor, that ingesting more frequent meals (5) with lesser proportions of food is the way to go. Well, the second and third day of post-surgery, I tried that method and the following days I had four separate bowel movements on each of those days. The escalating pain was unmanageable. The prescribed pain-relieving-medications for suppressing the swelling and inflammation became dysfunctional. Not everyone has identical recoveries. Without intentionally second-guessing them, I had observed that ingesting less portions and meals (3) might have a more rehabilitating effect during the recovery period than my friend and doctor had recommended.

With respect to any medication-addictions that might develop in time into a pain-medication-dependence, I am trying diligently to wean off all the relevant substances. Professional advisors suggest to not worry about it, and that medical evidence has had positive-proven results, and to disregard any myth of a potential addiction, and to just carry on with any and all prescribed medications.

The main concept is to not stop believing. As a non-life threatening aliment, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! (pun.) All your wits and experiences along with the advice and intervention of the medical professionals, a positive attitude, progressive and precautionary measures, play a necessary role in recovering. Do what ever it takes to be comfortable! After tediously researching various methods, strategies, technologies, and medical confirmations, it is revealed that this is not rocket science, but simply a vitally needed scientific-approach to restore and heal this constructive process. Believing that recovery is on its way is an asset and prerequisite for a practical rehabilitation. Remember that you have to walk on eggshells and take baby steps, long before you are well enough to go hiking. Plan your moves, move your plans! Take time to relax, be hopeful knowing all will be well and that, you are not alone.
|

replied March 23rd, 2014
I'm having constipation too
I have this problem too somewhat. But I don't bleed when I go. I do however have to strain badly and my stomach keeps bloating up and hurting very badly. And most times I can't go at all. Plus there is always mucas in my stools where I find myself having to wash with a wet washcloth most times, then having to change underwear more than once a day. About 2 or 3 times I change underwear.

Odd thing is, I am eating very little, taking a good fiber supplement and getting tons of exercise. Yet I'm having to push out WAY more than what I'm taking into my body.
|