Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Lonely teen

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I'm 17 years old guy from Canada and in final year of high school and very lonely and depressed at times because I don't have any friends to hang out with on friday nights and on weekends. In total I have like 2 or 3 friends and none of them like hanging out or meeting new people and just like studying all the time so I never get to hang out even witht he few friends I have. Weekdays are busy because of school and after school activities but on weekends and friday nights I am all by myself and feel so alone and depressed. When i cant take it anymore I go out for walks at night by myself and ocasionally see other groups of friends with guys and girls hanging out and partying and that makes me feel even more alone. I wish I had a group of friends like that who would hang out on weekends and throw parties. But no one in my school is like that, my school is so dull and there is literally no one who cares about having friends, no joke you should seriously see my school. Also when I see girls hanging out with other guys it makes me feel even more lonely.. I wish I had a group of girls to hang out with or a girlfriend because i never had one my whole life.. I mean i want a girl who I can always hang out with and talk to whenever we want so I don't feel so alone. I've been feelign this way for over a year now. All that time before I didnt really think about my social life and thought i was doing fine but one day it hit me and i realized how lonely i really feel and how alone i am in this world. i just don't know what to do..
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Piano_Gal
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2009
Supporter
try to go out with your family. and ask some girls that you like if she would like to go out with you. she don't need to be in your school perhaps a neighbor or some one you met. there are a lot of teenage whom are lonely as you are and would love to spend time with others the only thing you need to do is ask people if they would like to go out. but choose well. its better to be alone then ending up with addict or trouble maker. cause you want to have fun you don't want to suffer.
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi Toronto411,
Congratulations in making it to the final year of high school. Soon this phase of your life will be coming to an end and you will start a new phase, collage. High School can be a daunting experience but it doesn't have to be. You aren't alone in wanting to be in the in crowd. You can break the ice and have a small party, kids that age love a party right?

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2009
Loneliness, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this, but pained to hear your words Toronto, You should try meeting people more, You should try perhaps talking with your family more (like mariah79 said), all in good health, find someone who you can love and cherish, I feel your pain never finding a girl in your life who can love you, trust me, there is someone out there, perhaps you haven't noticed them yet but they have noticed you, i can almost guarantee it...

Me... well, loneliness is in my blood, I guess you can call me a loner really, but I keep my head held up high, and I want to give advice to others who don't have that hope...

Good luck Toronto, and I hope you make more new friends for years to come
|
Users who thank LonelyMix for this post: SailintoTheDark 

replied May 24th, 2013
I am in the exact same situation as Toronto and as much as I would like some friends to be with, I want someone to love even more and you really seem to get that. Do you have any advice for how to find someone (note I am an 18yo guy) who is real and not just looking for a fling or someone to fill their time or something like that? I am pretty shy too but I feel like thats mostly because I never know what to say to girls (or guys for that matter) and I guess I dont want to screw any possible future relationship up in case that girl turns out to be real, you know? I'm not sure that line of thought makes sense, but thanks for posting this
|

replied December 12th, 2009
I am in nearly the exact same position as you and am glad to know that I am not the only high school senior that has not had a boyrfriend (or for you, girlfriend). Consider urself lucky in ur school, in my school I am surrounded by couples especially, I have some pretty close friends, but not any really lets go hang out together friends. When you are surrounded like I am it is even worse, this sounds really emo of me and I don't want it to, but it's like a crushing depression. So if you wanna talk...... write me, btw, I hate when ppl say, "ask someone out" because I am cursed with an irrational fear of rejection. just thought I'd point that out.
|

replied February 5th, 2013
I dont like it when people say that either, you don't NEED to be in a relationship...
|

replied May 20th, 2010
Hi,
I am going through the same crippling loneliness. I've got one close friend and a boyfriend who I adore and who loves me to bits too - the only problem is that he's a complete social butterfly whereas I'm not. It doesn't really come between us, but I just wish I could have a big group of friends to call up, joke around with and relax with. My boyfriend doesn't really know that I feel really lonely, and I don't want him to feel sorry for me. I don't really understand why I don't have friends. The people in my classes in college are much older than me as they are mature students. My colleagues at the retail store aren't really the 'friends' type. People seem to like my company, but I'm quite a closed person so it's hard for me to respond. But I know that once people go past that then I'm warm, loyal, chatty, funny and always there for someone. My family a d boyfriend think I have tons of friends. With the summer holidays coming up, i'm just scared that I'm going to end up wondering around by myself.
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2010
lol it seems many ppl have the same problems.. i have 2 years to the end of high school and basically i have friends but they are somrthing like "school friends"i mean after school we dont do anything together and all the couples in my class are making my situation worse... my boyfrined bla bla bla... its really depressing :S
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2012
Hi, I am 15 years old and have suffered from loneliness and depression for most of my life. I am with you though KittyBee, nobody really knows that I am lonely and I dont feel like I can go to anyone for help and support. I have tried so many things to try and cope with it, I even have a guy who really likes me. My best cooping strategy is to do what I love the most, playing the piano. It makes me happy when I have nowhere else to go. My suggestion would be to find that one thing that makes you happy and do that whenever you feel like this (that goes for everyone)
I am in a position where I dont really know who are actually my friends. I live about 25 miles from my closest school friend, so nobody really calls me to hang out because i usually cant. this forum is my last hope, if someone could help me that would be so wonderful.
Thank you.
|

replied November 10th, 2012
I hope someone still reads this thread. I am 15 years old, and I have suffered from depression for several years. I constantly find myself feeling empty and wanting to end my life. Never have I confided this to anyone, because I live alone with my dad and I feel like he wouldn't react well. I've gotten to a point where I'm just not sure what to do. Please help.
|

replied February 6th, 2013
Hi there. It seems depression is a common thing for teenagers like yourself. I should know. The last four years I have had no friends other than some people I got thrown together with that I don't really find as true friends and I feel so lonely and cold inside. I have never told anyone about this before either but I too get so depressed and lonely sometimes that I just wish I was dead or somewhere very far away. I find that if you can, try to focus on the good points in your life - you at least have a roof over your head and a father. Just try to forget about everyone else. All that matters is you.
Hope this helps
|