Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Local or general peritonitis

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I have been having problems on my right hand side since 2005. Strong pain about after 2-3hours after eating specially at night, foood not being digested for hours even days. Had alll sorts of drugs but no results. After consultations in March I had my gallbladder removed even if no stone was present. The doctor said the gallbladder was inflated because of infection. After the surgery I fel fine for a few days and could eat better than before but for the last two wweks I have horror pains which start around 5-6 in the mornings from right to left. The very strong pain is on the right toward lower right stretching to the lower back. The pain is so severy that paralyzes me for hours and I feel like a dead in my own bed. After eating the pain turns mild and I feel it only as a wound on the right side. The problem is that I am getting pain in the right groin as well. Anyone any idea?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A14445
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

In cases of surgeries, especially those performed in the abdominal cavity, they may be accompanied by local or general peritonitis (inflammation of the peritoneum due to chemical irritation). The cause of this chemical irritation may be gastric juice, bile, pus or lymph. The only thing that doesn't irritate the peritoneum is blood, which is why bleeding in the abdominal cavity should be immediately diagnosed.

According to the symptoms that you described, you may or may not experience peritonitis. See an abdominal surgeon or gastroenterologist to exclude any medical condition that may cause peritonitis.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon or a gastroenterologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.