Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Liver burning

Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
I am a 35 year old woman, have 3 children and am in good general health. I eat sensibly, I do enjoy butter and dairy and could probably cut down a bit, but I am not overweight, in fact my bmi is spot on.

I drank more than I should have (on average 25 - 35 units a week?) from the age of 18 until my early 30's. I first noticed a 'burning' sensation on my right hand side, just under my ribcage, about 4 years ago. I have been pregnant twice in the last 4 years so have had nearly 2 years off drink nearly totally in this time. I know when I have been pregnant I have not had this sensation. For the last 12 months I have really cut down on my alcohol intake and have on average 6-8 units a week now.

I would describe the sensation as a mild burning pain, sometimes nearer the front, sometimes nearer the back, and sometimes right up into my shoulder blade area. Some days I don't feel it at all.

I am very worried to raise this issue with anyone and have never discussed it with a doctor as am frightened of the results/process to find out what the problem is. I am also on a course of antibiotics, and read the small print that you shouldn't take with liver disease......

I have taken milk thistle supplement on/off for a year.

What should I do - stop my alcohol intake all together and see if it goes away? How long would it take to konw this? Take a liver function tests Cut out all dairies. I find it strange that when I abstained whilst pregnant I didn't have any pain, but now mild intake seems to trigger it.

Help, I am very worried :O(
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 13th, 2010
sorrel; I was diagnosed over 10 years ago with HEP C after my brother was diagnosed my whole family was tested; I was another "unlucky one" out of 8. My brother went through the grueling treatment of inferion and ribo. It seemed as though he was dying for a year; it did nothing for him, I refused the same path. I begin researching and decided to try a little of everything and pay CLOSE ATTENTION to my own body. Since I LOVE to drink in moderation, quitting wasn't going to be an easy option for me. I won't get into all the trial and errors I found to finally make myself feel normal but I will hit the highlights of what I found to be somewhat deceiving from my perspective:

Milk Thistle: Although I benefited from the "liver cleansing effect", taking this every day caused the burning sensation you are explaining in me; not to mention the chest pains (sound familiar?). I go on a regime now of one tablet, once a day for one week every 6-8 weeks.

Daily diet: 500mg Vit. E, 500 mg Vit. C

Breakfast- 1 ounce yogurt, cup of orange juice, slice of toast with peanut butter

Lunch- one can of Slim Fast (not sure why but this seems to keep me "regular") one of the main problems with HVC is constipation.

Dinner- Generally what ever I want....in between meals orange and or apples, bananas.

I also do a light weight lifting session every other day and try to get a walk or even a run in during the week.

Did I mention I drink almost everyday but feel great? I am 44 yrs old. I gave up on Doctors because everything they suggested only made me feel worse. I’m not sure what my viral load is and really don’t care as long as I feel good. Feeling bad is a sure sign something is wrong, feeling good is a sure sign something is not.
|
Did you find this post helpful?