Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Little red specks on legs

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi,

I'm not really terribly concerned about this, but I have been out in the sun for years so I'm constantly checking my skin for odd looking things, and in the last few months I noticed something on the top of my thighs.

There are little red specks sprinkled randomly over them - they look like chiggers or no-see-ums. They're bright red, and so tiny you really have to look hard to see them - they're not like freckles or anything. When I first noticed them I thought it WAS a chigger, so I went to flick it off and noticed it was my skin!

What are these?

I wear pants all year round, occasionally wearing capris, and I even wear shorts with my swimsuits, so I don't think it's from sun-damage? However, I have for years been out riding horses getting my face and arms in the sun, but I usually wore a hat and sunscreen.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2008
Supporter
It could be razor burn.
It could also be bed bugs.
|

replied June 24th, 2008
EW! Bed bugs?!? I hope not!
|

replied June 24th, 2008
Hm, I just looked up razor burn and bed bugs... don't think that's it. They're not welted or raised off the skin at all - the link below has a picture of a chigger on skin - that's what they look like... they're almost that small, too. Maybe just 2x bigger?

http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/graphicsf iles/Chigger-ilr.jpg
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Liver
Get your blood work done and check for liver issues. I have the same spots, but on my arms - cherry blisters - resulting from billirueben overload in my system, and not by much. The normal count is .5 - 2 and mine was 2.4. Over the counter vitamins like Milk Thistle or Pysillymarin (sp?) help in the most miraculous ways to aid your liver in the breakdown of billiruebens. However, the red spots don't go away - only if burned off by the dermatologist. Hope this helps.
|