Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

little particles or specks in the discharge?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
i started my period 4/8/11. it started out very light and stayed that way until 7 days later. at that time the discharge became a very dark brown color with a gooey texture (yuck)but wasn't heavy. there seemed to be little particles or specks in the discharge. definately doesn't look normal.
the discharge has remained dark/yucky this whole week until this morning. now it's bright red again, with those same little particles/specks in them. again though, the flow is not heavy, but i'm afraid because i haven't spotted in many many years and to be bleeding for this long (although not heavy) espcially with how odd it looks.
the discharge doesn't have a foul odor, and only had very mior cramps.
i have an appointment for a papsmear in about 2 months. should i see someone sooner? i don't feel sick, but it worries me because of the duration and appearance of this discharge.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A22314
Hello,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Occasional brown/dark discharge can be considered normal especially if not associated with any other symptoms. However chances of infections, inflammation, cervical dysplasia, perimenopausal changes cannot be ruled out. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for a thorough evaluation along with investigations like vaginal swab/smear (to rule out infections), PAP smear (to rule out cervical dysplasia or pre-cancerous changes), hormonal & blood work-up (to rule out anemia and perimenopausal changes).
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.