Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

little hard lump under the skin of my armpit?

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
I have a little hard lump under the skin of my armpit what could it be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2012
Cancers Answer A34352
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of the lump mentioned in the history appears to be due to a benign enlargement of a lymph node.

Lymph nodes are part of the lymphatic system, where white blood cells (lymphocytes) mature and undergo clonal multiplication. The lymphocytes are important for fighting the infection and clearing the viruses and bacteria from the body. Hence during any infection it is common for the lymph nodes to increase in size and also become a bit tender (pain on application of pressure).

You can take anti inflammatory medications like Advil or motrin for a few days, which will reduce the inflammation and the pain. Within a few days, the nodes will decrease in size and you will be back to normal.

In addition, you may also consult your doctor for a prescription of antibiotics to treat any associated skin infections that you may be having.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.