Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Lightheaded and racing heart

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
My condition started about 7 months ago. I would get a sudden light headed feeling and have trouble breathing, my heart would race etc. I had a near syncope so I saw a cardiologist and all my tests came back normal. It seemed that the syncope was from anxiety. Since then Ive had off and on dizzy spells without the anxiety attacks. Some nights Ive woken up with the feeling as if I stopped breathing, (central sleep apnea?) About 2 months ago I had these symptoms along with a blocked ear,pressure in the eye,headache & brain fog for over a week. I went to the ER and had a CT scan. I also had a stiff neck that came and went, tingling in my arm and my hand would shake. The CT scan came back normal, they thought it was something with my inner ear. It went away for a few weeks. Recently Ive been light headed, my left eye has a tingle/twitch,and and a constant feeling of dreaminess. If I look at something for to long my vision blurs as if im not focusing. Any incite would be appreciate

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2009
(online)
General Q and A Answer A7712
Hello and welcome to eHealth Forum!

Your symptoms (light headed, my left eye has a tingle/twitch, and a constant feeling of dreaminess) could be due to several causes. Dizziness Dizziness could be due to postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck.

Other causes are anemia, claustrophobia, GERD, hypoglycemia or low sugar and some endocrine problems. Endocrine problems, such as an underactive thyroid (called hypothyroidism), overactive thyroid (called hyperthyroidism), adrenal insufficiency (called Addison's disease), low blood sugar levels, and in some cases, diabetes, may lead to hypotension and hence lightheadedness and an off balance feeling. If all other tests are normal, maybe an ECHO should be done to rule out mitral valve prolapse.

You should get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. It is difficult to give a confirmed diagnosis on net without examining. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.