Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Life time of pain and discomfort after Hernia Surgery?

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
User Profile
Is it true that up to 30% of people who have hernia surgery end up with a lifetime of pain and discomfort?

I have an inguinal hernia and I'm scheduled to have it operated on this month. I'm choosing the laparoscopic approach because it doesn't involve cutting muscle like the open approach does. I did a little research and I ended up reading on this website http://herniabible.wordpress.com/ that up to 30% of people who have hernia surgery end up with a lifetime of pain and discomfort afterwards. (Search for "up to 30" control F or Command F) I notice that on this website is advertised flat pads which is part of the Watchful Waiting strategy that Hernia Bible is a proponent of. I'm not sure if this is just a way to boost sales or if they're even associated.

Watchful Waiting from what I understand it is instead of surgery one wears a hernia support which keeps the hernia in during the day. Then in the meanwhile one enters a routine of pilates to increase the strength of the muscle in the hernia region while it's being kept in, some dietary changes and walking. Over the course of about six months they suggest that the hernia may vanish and the hole in your muscle wall will have repaired itself.

This is my understanding. So… is it true? 30%? 1 in 3 or 4? Does Watchful Waiting work? I certainly, CERTAINLY do not want to end up with a life time of pain and discomfort. I like House and all, but I don't want to be him, and I can't say I have the medical know how or pure mischievous genius to make up for it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper saintfan
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Hi,
If you want more information, go to the Topix Forum and search for Hernia Mesh forum. " it should help, there are over 5000 messages dating back to 2007 from people who have had nothing but pain and suffering and ruined lives because of the mesh the doctors have used.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
I wanted to get my two cents in on Hernia repair with mesh. I had my left side done three years ago with the open procedure. They found multiple hernias and had to repair the entire abdominal wall with mesh and plugs. A month ago I the right side done using the Laproscopic repair using the mesh. This time they repaired two large hernias on my right side using the mesh.

I have not had any problems whatsoever with the first hernia repair that was done three years ago. So far the one on my right side seems to be find. I have some discomfort from the swelling but it's getting better each day. I only needed pain medicine for the first 10 days. Yesterday and today, I didn't even have to take a Motrin.

The amount of daily discomfort that I used to have from my hernias was very annoying. I'm very happy that I've gotten them taken care of. As everyone know, they never get better, only worst.

I am 59 years old and expect to be back at the gym in about three weeks. I'm very thankful for the mess and how well it's worked for me. I noticed that a lot of these posts are from many years ago. Maybe the product they were using back then is different than what they are using today. What they used on me in 2009 and earlier this month is working very well.

I had my surgeries done Brigham Women's in Boston. I thought I should mention that incase there are different mess products being used elsewhere across the country. I would be surprised if the medical community wasn't standardized on the product they are using but you never know.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post. There's apparently a lot of people who are unhappy with the mesh, but there are a lot of us who are very happy with the mesh.

Best Regards,
Lon
|

replied April 21st, 2012
That herniabible website is plainly the work of a complete nutcase or fraud. Anyone who reccommends homeopathy, as he does, has no understanding of medical science and should be ignored.
|

replied August 9th, 2013
I had open hernia surgery done in 1995 under local anesthesia. ever since I have been in pain, sometimes real aggravating pain, burning, stabbing, I had injections put in the area did not work, I had injections done on my back, doctor did not or could not get the right area. I hear if he gets the right nerve or place in my back he could numb the whole area for life, I am willing to do that, is there a doctor in new York city that would do that. call me at 212 870-3400 x-4699. thank you, Luis
|

replied September 11th, 2013
Hi saw your post and I'm in the same boat.
I've had the injections three times now, the first time didn't do anything but put my legs to sleep for the whole day. The second time worked perfectly(for 3 weeks) and the third time, six weeks later as this was the only time he could get me in, the doc put my whole lower abdomen and right leg to sleep for quite some time. I thought, yay, it works! Until I found out it could lead to long term complications....my right leg woke up two weeks later and I had minimal pain for about a month. SO! my point being, it does work well in the right area! But its a bit scary to have a dead leg for two weeks....possibly more...
Wish you luck! I'm also currently waiting for a new doctor in Ontario.
|