Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Life span of HIV virus

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hi,
.three weeks ago, a nail hurts me and my hand was bleeding. nail was like that
http://www.rammfence.com/shop/images/ring_ shank_nail_m.jpg

it was in the house. also in the house there were lots of russian girls. also before me, the same nail hurt the russian girls.one of them may be aids because they were always having sex:D yesterday, i made complete blood test.

lymph count = 3.5
lymph percentage = %64
wbc count = 5.4

what does they mean? may i be infected by hiv? do hiv infect by this method? in previous post you say the blood should be fresh but many website say that do not use razor . is fresh the blood on the razor? what does it mean fresh exactly?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2008
HIV and AIDS Answer A4573
You can be infected with HIV only if an infected person hurt himself with the same nail not more than several minutes before you. Blood on the nail needs to be fresh because the HIV virus can stay alive for a very short time (several minutes) outside the human body when exposed to environmental factors.

We can never be sure how long HIV can stay alive on the razor and when exactly the razor was contaminated so it is better not to use a foreign razor.

If someone has sex very frequently it doesn't mean that he/she has HIV/AIDS. We can only say that persons who have unprotected sex have a higher risk to get infected with HIV. Protected sex (using condom) even with many partners is safer than unprotected sex with one person.

HIV-infection can't be diagnosed with simple blood tests like a complete blood count. You can request specific HIV-tests (ELISA or Western Blot) to check if you are infected or not. You should also repeat the test 6 months later.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.