Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Life-long constipation (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Ok, so since the day I was born I have had this 'problem'. Any time i go to the bathroom (usually only about once a week), i am constipated. This is going to sound really gross, but it is all true. My stools are usually VERY much oversized, and switch back and forth between softer and harder stools. Usually depending on my diet. I am very skinny, and so i try to balance out what i eat so that i do not loose to much weight - which in turn causes issues with my 'problem' of course. So it is very hard to watch what I eat and keep things in my body at least fairly normal. Yes, i know, life-long constipation is not normal per say, but it is all i have ever known.

My parents took me to some kind of doctors when i was very young (i would say about three or four, maybe) and they ran a series of tests on me (some of them fairly painful). When all of it was done, they said they had absolutely no idea what it could be. They told my parents to make sure i eat lots of fruit, drink lots of water, and get plenty of fiber. Well, i've done all of that. And around 13 years later, I am still just the same. The size of my stools are, as they have always been, unusually large, and sometimes painful to pass. The only time i get any relief is when i get Diarrhea, which does occasionally happen, if i eat TOO much fruit such as prunes (call me strange, but i love them, and they sometimes help my problem), or other fruit. Water does sometimes help, but not very much, and i do not want to drink too much for fear of making it worse. I've also eaten things full of fiber, or taken fiber supplements - they do not help, and sometimes i should think they may even make it worse.

When i was a baby, i took enemas (or was given them) and that is how they would get me to pass what was in my system. However, it was extremely painful, and sometimes would not work at all, causing me extreme discomfort as it TRIED but failed to work. Stool softeners do help, but only a bit, and i do not want to use them all the time as i would need to, because with my luck i would build up an immunity to them (which is supposedly possible). And there again, as i said before, they do not always work very well.

So here i sit, sixteen years old, a sophomore in high school, and still with the same 'problem' that i have had since the day i was born. And seemingly with no diagnosis possible. Now i have heard enough things, and read enough things on the internet, to know that i am not the only one who suffers from life-long constipation, but i still feel very alone about it. I am a teenager, looking at colleges i want to get into, and thinking about what i will do with the rest of my life, who would like to know what is wrong with her, if it will threaten her future and finally.... FINALLY is getting brave enough to risk the tests and things again if only there is SOME hope that her problem can be resolved, or at least lessened! I am tired of living in fear that whatever this 'problem' is will suddenly get worse, or even gradually get worse, and by the time i step up to the plate to get it resolved, it will be too late. I would like to live a long and full life - help people, raise a family, make some kind of difference in the world... or at least the world of SOME people.

I am scared. I am very frightened, because as i have said... i have always had this. There is no unusual gas or anything that goes with it, and if it gets bad, there is sometimes abdominal pain with it. I only pass a stool about once a week... because i cant before then. It's like theres not enough there or something for my body to pass it, or want to. And when it decides it is time to... it is how i have already described to you. This is my norm, this is how i have lived all of my life. With the discomfort, with the fear. Now, as i have decided to see if there is some way to take care of this problem, i am more scared. What if it turns out to be something incurable? Something fatal, maybe? What if the tests are very painful... and in the end they still have NO idea what is wrong with me? I am as scared of the news as i am scared of the pain that the tests may mean.

But most importantly... i am scared for my future. Terrified. To think i am 16, and that it may mess up the rest of my life... or even lead me to an early death.

I would like to know, what this could possibly be. I would also like to hear from someone with the same/similar issues, or who knows someone with such things. In addition... what possible treatments for this could be. To me, it does sound as if there is something wrong with my digestive system... as if it does not filter all of the things in my food as it should. As if there is more to the stool then there should be. When i was born, i was not Premature, but i was very small (4 pounds, 7 ounces) and i wonder if it could be a problem that happened in my development. Whatever it is, i would very much like to know, and finally resolve the issue once and for all.

Thank you VERY much for reading this. Any kind of reply or reassurance would be appreciated, as i am still scared to death of going to the doctor and am not sure what to do. After past experiences... i do not want to be let down again. Please help or give insight if you can, and again... Thank you very much for your time/comments.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper healthyalex
|

replied February 25th, 2010
I have the exact same problem as you. I sort of thought I was alone!! I am seventeen years old, and have always been constipated. Let me know how things go.
|

replied April 24th, 2012
Same here, I'm 14 it's hell at school, at home i can deal with it but at school i don't know what is worse.
|

replied March 8th, 2010
I also have a redundant colon and have suffered with constipation issues similar to what you have desribed for my entire life. My mother gave me enemas and laxatives for as long as I could remember. When I turned 50 it got even worse; but here's the point of my story. Recently I started eating one serving of Activia each morning (tastes great!) and one capful of Miralax dissolved in about 1/2 cup of water each night just before I go to sleep. I am now going on a regular basis! I go once in the morning and sometimes another time during the day. My stool is no longer so huge and dry. It flows very easily. I don't even have to pound down the water as I always had before. I am having some issues with gas but that seems to be subsiding. It was almost embarrasing at first but it is better now.

Miralax is a miracle. I have read that it acts to keep moisture in the stool and it really does work. I am not sure if Activia really works or not but I am not taking any chances. I have a solution for now; I hope it lasts for a long time. Good luck!
|

replied April 19th, 2010
My daughter and I both had similar symptoms. We started taking digestive enzymes on an empty stomach and with our meals. It took a couple weeks but it worked. I think taking thropps digestive enzymes on an empty stomach helped me the most at first. Now I just take them with my meals and my constipation has reduced 90%. My daughter still has to take them with her meals and on an empty stomach but her constipation almost gone away completely. Digestive enzymes worked for the two of us. Give it a try.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Easy traditional therepy is to take a single pommegranet seed slightly crushed and ease it into the anus. Five to ten minutes later you will go to the bathroom with no problems at all. This has worked for many people I personally know and has done for centuries apparently. Thank me when you have tried it. Good luck.
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
i hav the same problem and im seventeen. i use oxy powder..u can buy it online. before that i could not even use the bathroom even once a week or maybe never at all without using a laxative. oxy powder relieves everything from your bowels and it is very safe literallly EVAEYTHING. i recommend this for everyone just drink it with juice and i eat 5 pills to relieve all that i need to. before this i lived a nightmare life but now i feel so free.
|

replied April 24th, 2012
Thanks for the advice even if it wasn't aimed at me. I'm 14 and i have exactly the same problem, it's hell.
|

replied June 18th, 2010
I have exactly the same thing! I am 20 and was a 'colick-y" baby my mom said. I had a bad stomach since i was born! Test have been run on me, and they put me on Miralax back when it was a prescription, it did nothing. As embarassing as it is, I have ended up in the ER plenty of times becuase of my constipation, only for them to give me the most powerful drug to relieve it, which never does anything to help! I also drink plenty of water, get plenty of fiber, and do everything right! The only thing that has worked for me, but was extrememly painful, and I also do not want to rely on it, is maximum strength Ex Lax. It took a few doses to work, but I use it every now and again when i don't have a bowel movement for two weeks. It is common for me to only go once a week, maybe.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Thank you very much, all of you, for reading all of this and commenting. Those of you who have the same issue or similar ones, thank you for letting me know. I'd really thought I was some sort of freak before this, so you've helped, trust me. It is a long time later and no I have not gone back to the doctor. Right now i am sticking to my diet and am trying to balance out healthy fruit, veggies, and etc, while still keeping my weight up. Funnily enough, if i do not eat sweets, it does seem to really help. But it still fluctuates, and i have to keep eating some sweets because of my high metabolism and overly-active life. Anyways, as time goes on, i will check back and post things ive done and the outcomes. Thanks again everyone!
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Try with Silymarin or Milk Thistle. It helps liver process toxins and it regulates digestion.
I used Silymarin in capsules for other reasons but it helped me with my lifelong constipation problem tremendously after only a few weeks. It will also improve your skin and overall health.

It's completely natural drug with rare side effects like diarrhea and you can get it in capsules, but just to be safe, consult your doctor first.
Good luck.
|

replied August 15th, 2010
I have had the exact same problem since I was a baby. I'm 18 years old and am STILL having problems with it. As a kid I had to take a disgusting medicine I called "honey medicine" to relieve my constipation. My mom would make me drink a glass of prune juice at every meal and still I would only have a bowel movement about twice a week and they would be huge. It's now typical for me to go twice a week, or sometimes multiple times in very small amounts. Two year ago I was so constipated I went about two and a half weeks without having a bowl movement. Since then I have had a colonoscopy and have learned that I have several internal hemorrhoids and the doctor suggested I take Miralax everyday. This worked alright, but I stopped using it because it made my bowel movements too soft and...yeah...you know what I mean. I should also add that during my prep for the colonoscopy, the laxative didn't even work on me until about 8:00 or 9:00 at night (I started the prep at 5:00). I was still going to the bathroom at 2:00 a.m. that night. I have always had minor problems with rectal bleeding but it was never anything big. But recently I had a bowel movement in the morning and the rest of the day whenever I went to the bathroom there was still blood on the toilet paper. I don't think this is anything serious, but I've never bled all day after a bowel movement. I'm going to try Miralax and see if it helps, but I was just wondering if anyone might know if this is anything more severe. Like I said, I'm not too worried but I would still like to know! Thank you so much!!
|

replied October 11th, 2010
Managing lifelong constipation
I am 49 years old and have suffered with chronic constipation since birth. I remember my mother telling me they rushed me to hospital at the age of three weeks for an emergency enema because my stomach had not worked since I was born. All my life I had to take laxatives in order to get it to work at all. I have tried the fibre/fruit/water route countless times, with no success. Now I take a herbal laxative every night before bed and I go every morning when I wake up, sometimes once or twice again through the day, and have been doing this for fifteen years. Its the only way I have survived it. I use Agiolax which is not availalble in Canada and the US but can be ordered online from Madaus Pharmaceuticals in Germany. Its ok for long term use. If I forget to take it or my meals are not taken regularly I can still get an attack of constipation, then I drink strong laxatives and use suppositories to get it going again, but that doesn't happen often.

Learn to manage your condition, the doctors don't have a clue and are convinced its from bad eating habits, but for me I have had it all my life and they just don't believe that.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
i think agiolax can help in easing constipation.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Lifelong, chronic constipation.
Hi,
I'm not sure if anybody will read this, but I would like to share my story anyway as I have nobody else to talk to about it. This will all sound gross, but please do not judge if you have not experienced this life.
I am now 18 years old and have experienced my situation since I was born, I suffer severe constipation, and I mean severe. I currently go to the toilet about once a week, although this varies, and at its worst I have gone three weeks without movement (and this is on top of an already eternal backlog, as when i go once a week, although the stool is incredibly large and causes me much pain, i am not emptied). This again may sound terrible, but like you this is all I have ever known. I have only ever tried laxatives, stool softenors and supplements etc. along with changes in diet and excercise, and of course sheer force and willpower to try to correct my problem. I am at my wits end. Nobody knows about my problem, my parents experienced it with me all through my childhood up until about the age of thirteen when I managed to become more dicreet about my smell and problems and they now believe I am perfectly normal. This may sound odd as parents must help their children no matter what, but i feel they have gone through enough stress and they are now proud of my achievements in life, having just begun university. I have waited all my life for the disappointment to end and them to be proud of me, and now that I have this I never want to lose it, so please understand why I never want them to know. As a result I only go to the toilet when my parents are not in, due to the smell and length of time it takes. I also have to hide any treatments from them, although it is only recently that I begun trying laxatives and stool softenors again since I now have my own money. These are mildly successful, but it requires me to go whenever I get the urge, but i fear going when my parents are home, which makes things difficult. I know I have to deal with this fear but I am struggling to right now. I am also currently contemplating visiting a doctors as I believe I have a stretched rectum which is making my stools so hard, I have researched this but cannot find out if it will stretch back through regular bowel movements after 18 years of being stretched. I have heard of operations to manually remove excess faeces, enabling a fresh start on laxatives to get regularity, stronger muscles and my rectum back to normal. I wish to visit a doctor as my stools actually seem to be getting harder and bigger lately, and having researched, it has finally set in how much my life is in danger, for example excess straining can cause heart attacks. I now fear for my life once a week. My main concern however in visiting a doctor is the fear that once again, my parents will find out that I am the same as I have always been and I will have let them down.
I strongly believe there is no biological/genetical reason for my problems. I spent much of my early years - probably from the ages of 4 to 9 visiting various doctors who were to put it simply, absolutely useless. I was let down, and even now it makes me so angry as I truly believe their uselessness ruined my childhood. I have researched my problems and discovered that many more treatments than I was ever offered are now available, and have been for years, at the time of my visits to doctors my parents never had access to internet freely, and so could never look this up, nor know that other people had the same issues. Having researched chronic constipation in children I have discovered that my problem was most likely a fear/phobia having developed at a young age of going to the toilet. This is very common in children, but if it is not promptly and patiently corrected it can lead to a life like mine. Having had just one painful stool a child commonly does not wish to go again, this only then takes a few days of the child holding its urge to go before the stool becomes very very dry and hard and even more painful, this is how a phobia develops. This large stool then stretches the rectum, and if this is not patiently corrected (it takes time) then the child will not get an urge to go again until the stretched rectum has filled again. (the colon only discharges when full apparently) When the stretched rectum has filled again, as you can probably tell the stool is once again hard, painful and the child holds it longer etc. Therefore you can see how my vicious cycle quickly occurred, especially with such useless doctors.
My doctors believed that my parents were doing wrong, like you they told them again and again to ensure I eat as much fruit as possible, water, excercise etc. All of which my parents did do. However, this did nothing for I always held it in. I was also scared (as I still am now) to go in public e.g. school, which also caused problems. The doctors also frequently gave me different laxatives and vitamins etc. - laxatives, prune juice, etc. all of which were vile. These also did not work and shows the doctors did not take into account the main blockage to begin with - the very large and painful stool and backlog which a fearful child wished to ignore (which according to various websites, must be cleared before the 'maintenance' stage involving laxatives).
My situation has caused hell throughout my childhood, I was bullied at school because i smelled (faeces behind the main large stool escapes past the large stool in children, causing soiled pants without the child realising.) I had no friends and my relationship with my parents was also at breaking point. They simply did not know what to do with me as doctors were no help, I now also carry around the guilt of my parents often being embarrassed in public by my smell as a child, although this no longer happens, and stressed by my soiling and lack of bowel movement. I am very skinny, more so than my little sister (although it is only by two years) and no amount of food can make me put on weight. I have dark rings around my eyes which I believe is caused by this and feel very tired a lot when I have not gone for a while. I also frequently become depressed when it has been a significant amount of time.
I really am finally at my wits end after years of just coping. I am alone in this and I wish for a life and a family, yet this will never work if I cannnot find a solution. As i do not believe I have a biological condition I maintain great hope that I can be cured with help and do not need to expect a life of simply getting by.
Anybody who took the time to read my message, (which I am very grateful for, thankyou) if you have found a permanent solution, believe there is an obvious answer to my problem or that I should visit a doctor, please let me know. Any advice you take the time to give will be welcomed and tried. Thankyou again.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Ur story was really touching dude..dont worry..u r not the only one alone there..even me, am 22, has the same problem since a long time...u r lucky that u can pass atleast some hard stool sometimes..i havent defecated properly for a long time i guess..i use personal enema using water 3 to 4 times daily and it is of not much use..recently i tried some laxatives but to no vain..i had a colonoscopy done and uv scan of my abdomen taken..but nothing was found wrong with my strange belly.

i had discussed my problem with my parents and they r aware of it..i think it is high time that u shuld tell ur parents abt ur problem..the reason is that, if u dont tell them now, u r not gonna tell them ever..u r just 18 dude and u got a long life to live..i strongly urge u to present this problem to ur parents and get the help of a doctor..embarassment has no place for issues like this since there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of our body..even i was relucant first to tell this to my mother and after much though i disclosed it...

never give up and get depressed with ur life..i know exactly how u r feeling..i am sorry to hear that u were bullied in ur chilhood..i didnt had such a problem but i am feeling the pressure now in my college since i cant hang out much with my frnds like camping and long trips..people take me like an introvert because i dont mingle in activities like those...i travel alone and things got used to me like doing alone..

dont worry dude and pray to god.
|

replied April 24th, 2012
You're definatly not alone with this problem, i read your whole message and it seems even though i am 6 years younger then you we have the same problems other then constipation, like school and parents, i don't have a solution but i thought i would reply to tell you how much you are not alone in this, I hope you find a solution and can fully enjoy yourself day to day without worrying very soon. x
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Constipated for 18 years
I am now 36. I was fine during childhood. I started having this problem during the 1st year of college. I have never recovered. I searched for a solution and so I went to over 8 professional doctors specialized in internal medicine in 4 different countries. Useless! Useless! Useless! In January 2012, the last hope was this Blood Specialist. I was transferred to him by another internal medicine doctor because my blood test showed I am sickle-cell carrier. The blood specialist told me 'Maybe because of stress!'

I drink a lot of water, clean food, fibre, every thing. No use. What should do? I want to die and sleep forever.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
I would say do not give up also, your to young to just give in or up. You do need to speak to Your parents about your health, even if they do not get it or understand it since it is not them going through it or dealing with it. You do need a better doctor, and I know the feeling of not trusting doctors because so far none have really helped my bowel issues either. I have IBS and they have no idea what even causes it or what to do for people with it. So how can they actually treat it affectively? Don't ask cause I think it's total bs truely nothing has helped me and it's getting worse. But please never give up until You have seen the last doctor living and they can not help.
I am rooting for You!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Take Care!
Me Too! What can I say. Something will work for awhile and then quit working so I am constantly trying to find new solutions to my problem. The latest thing is enemas I have only used them occasionally through out my life. But now I also have a rectocele which has to be cleaned out or it itches like crazy. Another thing I am liking about enemas is that I don't have to wait hours to have a bowel movement, it improves my quality of life. Good luck all, I am 57 years old and the mother of 4 grown children.
|

replied April 25th, 2012
Wow guys all your stories are very intense, I've also suffered from constipation my whole life but not extreme, it's horrible because your body is constantly being intoxicated by everything you can't get rid of. The point is i learned that you can change it.

I've learned a lot. Constipation is a sign of deficient gut flora since beneficial bacteria play a very important role in stool formation and elimination. Most people in the western world lack the right balance, especially because of nutrition since we are babies among other things. An easy way to restore this balance is by eating foods rich in healthy bacteria like sauerkraut, remove all refined sugars and carbohydrates from your diet, and most importantly take probiotics to help restore the healthy bacteria. I've been taking Carpylic Acid as well to restore the acidity of my stomach and it's been working great. Some herbs and seeds that help digestion can also help regulate digestion.

I tried this thing called Digestive Mix by a company called Conscious food and it was amazing, that's what initially helped all my digestive problems, including constipation before i changed my diet which was hard. Fennel tea is quite soothing also.

Just remember, nobody is 'just constipated', our bodies all have the ability to get rid of stool every day! It takes time to repopulate your gut with the right intestinal flora. Look at the ingredients of what you buy guys, don't put random things into your body, especially if your constipated and can't get rid of all the crap. It's not easy but if you want make your constipation go away you have to make sure you eat more raw fruits and vegetables than carbohydrates. All dairy should be eliminated from the diet. Try to eliminate most carbs, all sugar, and anything starchy like potatoes. Take lots of probiotics, vitamin C and Bs. My life has totally changed for the better its amazing.
|

replied August 22nd, 2012
OMG i have the same problem, as i sit here reading this i feel a little at ease that im not alone. I have all the tests including colonoscpy and they cant find any reason for it. It terrible im always so full and sore. If any one has any suggestions please share i am 21 and this has been contoling my life for years.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
12 >>