Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

life expectancy ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Sad im having all the acute hiv symptoms and im 100% sure that i have hiv virus. Swollen gland rash and wt loss.now im very sad and i feel lonely,i think i have changed behavior also.i was engaged in a french kiss ,licked vagina one time ..im fed up of my life..dont know what to do.im an international student and im away from home.now i dont feel like studying.
What are the other stis that could be trasfered including hiv..if i start haart how long will i live?im getting weaker and weaker. Pls help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Muthoni
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
The first question I hear when talking to someone who has just found out the are HIV infected is how long will they live. My answer has always been that there is no answer...life expectancy varies from person to person and is impacted by a myriad of factors. But now researchers at Emory University's Center for AIDS Research says their studies indicate people live on average 24 years after being diagnosed with HIV. Since 1993 the average life span after diagnosis has more than tripled from 7 years to 24 years, a testament to more effective treatments and better HIV care.
If you have not gotten tested then do so. HIV is not the death sentence it once was and with diagnosis and medical treatment you can live a long and prosperous life. Dont be parallelized with fear, take action...its your life. Get tested. I personally do not think you have AIDS as described by your symptoms but you can never be sure until you get tested.Good Luck and be strong. It sounds more like depression or anxiety...
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2008
thanks buddy for your support.u seems like a very kind person.i got tested after 3weeks of exposure when i got swollen gland in neck ,i did all the poss tests like hepatitis herps ebv cmv syphi mono rubellamumps measles and hiv 1 n 2 with p24 antigen all where negative . That means hidden hiv antibodies wr developing ,now its the 7th week.my swollen glands didnt completely go but reduced .and i have rash on my back.im 1000% sure that im hiv +.after 2 week ill again go and get tested just for a formality.will let u know buddy.
I dont feel like continuing my deg,its simply waste of dollars.should i tell this to my parents back home? Is HAART treatment very costly and when should i start.per day how many dollars will i need to spend for haart tablets.thanks for your reply
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
If you think your parents are understanding people then tell them. It is always good to have moral support. Dont drop out of school over this. You know, even if your test comes back HIV+ you still will live to be old with all the new medication today. Most people live about 30 years with AIDS as long as they take there meds so dont quit, dont give up, be strong and stay brave. Dont let this get the best of you. Get re tested ,I dont think you have HIV...it sounds like something else to me but get re tested for your peace of mind. And dont stress..it will be OK.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Supporter
Keep going to school as Homerx says.
2891 wrote:
I dont feel like continuing my deg,its simply waste of dollars.should i tell this to my parents back home? Is HAART treatment very costly and when should i start.per day how many dollars will i need to spend for haart tablets.thanks for your reply

I had just got a new job at the University of Nairobi in Kenya as a Secretary to the Chairman of the department of Human Pathology, when I was told I had AIDS. This did not stop me from taking up the job and I worked there for three years without medication. It is while working there that I got a chance of coming to Canada. I worked in a medical school and the students were coming to Canada for an AIDS conference. This was in 1996. I applied for the scholarship and I was chosen.

Imagine if I had given up going to work at the University. I would not be in Canada getting better. Please carry on with life as best as you can.

My medication for AIDS cost around $2000 a month. The tax payers pay for it. And I try to give back as much as possible. I thank God for that. The cost depends on the country and the type of medication. I was at least five years without medication and only God knows when I got infected with the virus. Soon it will be 15 years that I know of and I am getting stronger and stronger because I am in a country that has found a way to help me even though I am not from here.

Take heart.

Always
Muthoni (Mson)
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Thank you MSON!
Thank you for sharing your inspirational story.... yes you lift me up and give me strength...you are amazing. I am like you, I don't know when I got infected but I know it has been at least 15 years and I didnt get sick untill 2001 and that would have never happened had I known sooner and been on meds...great enlightening story,Mson cartwheel
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Thank u very much Muthoni and HOMERX..U both are very nice .Im getting back my confidence after seeing ur messages,,
Im in spam unapproved do have any idea How much Will HAART cost per month??
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
HAART stands for highly active antiretroviral therapy. It is the combination of at least three ARV drugs that attack different parts of HIV or stop the virus from entering blood cells. Even among people who respond well to HAART, the treatment does not get rid of HIV. The virus continues to reproduce but at a slower pace. I am sorry but I do not know the cost.
It may be
possible to reduce the cost of HAART for developing countries to less than $125
a year if research into dosing and intermittent treatment can be funded,
according to Dr Andrew Hill, International Medical Manager for Roche, speaking
at the Eighth European Conference on Clinical Aspects of HIV Infection this
week in Athens.

Andrew Hill
previously worked for Glaxo Wellcome, and was closely involved with the
development of 3TC and the analysis of major pivotal studies that led to the
licensing of the drug. He now argues that the dose of 3TC could be halved from
the current level of 300mg (split into two 150mg doses each day), and that
approaches to intermittent therapy need urgent testing in large scale
international trials.

US prices,
full dosage, continuous treatment: d4T ($4,000) + 3TC ($4,000) + NVP ($3,400)

style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size :12.0pt'>$11,400

After
recent pricing concessions

UNAIDS
price, full dose, continuous treatment: d4T ($54) + 3TC ($219) + NVP ($445)

style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size :12.0pt'>$718
lang=EN-GB>wholesale price to govts, non-profits

Generic
manufacturer

Full dosage,
continuous treatment: combined d4T/3TC/nevirapine tablet

style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size :12.0pt'>$300
lang=EN-GB> to non-profits

Lowered
3TC dosage

Generic
prices, half dosage 3TC, continuous treatment: combined d4T/3TC/nevirapine
tablet

style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size :12.0pt'>$250
lang=EN-GB> (assuming $50 cost reduction)

Intermittent
treatment

Generic
price, half dosage 3TC, one month on, one month off: combined
d4T/3TC/nevirapine tablet

style='font-size:14.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size :12.0pt'>$125

I am sorry but I don't know the prise in spam unapproved.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Supporter
spam unapproved is one of the countries up there as far as HIV/AIDS treatment is concerned.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
I did not know that spam unapproved was so aggressively fighting to find a cure and other new medicines for HIV/AIDS... yes ...but I have always loved the Aussies and there brilliant country... 2thumbs respect
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Supporter
spam unapproved has a reputation as a world leader in HIV/AIDS treatment unless they have done something to ruin it.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
thanku homerx and muthoni :-)
thanku muthoni n homerx .you both have good knowledge abt hiv.will my body show aids related symptomse if i start HAART treatment as early as poss? Ex.any skin diseases ,oral thrush etc.when will aids symptoms starts to show on my body after starting HAART?

im in student visa rit now.so after my visas validity will this govt allow me to stay here if im hiv+ ?or will they chuck me back to my home country after my studies ?
Thank you
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2008
Supporter
When I was told I had HIV, I actually had AIDS. That is almost 15 years ago. I am still here and going strong.

I did not get medication until 5 years after being told about my status. In Kenya there was no medication for the three years I lived with the virus and in Canada, it took me two years to get treatment. I took my time coming out because I did not know what the reaction was going to be. I was almost deported.

You will be surprised some people don't need medication right away. If you have good enough fighter cells and a low viral load, the doctor might delay your treatment until such a time where they feel you need it.

It is difficult to say what will happen with the immigration. This is my 10th year fighting immigration. They say I am a drain to society. They say they cannot allow me to stay because I have AIDS. All countries are different and I have found Canada very compassionate despite their not wanting me here, they have continued to give me the medical care that I need including the very expensive medication. I believe in God and I know He is the one who has made this possible. I will never forget.

I wish you well in your journey.

Always
Muthoni (Mson)
|

replied April 7th, 2008
hello
hello i was reading all your conversations(very inspirational)
and it made me feel much more relief that there is someone out there

i have a question
i know the only way i can get to the point in by "gettin checked out"

i have been crying my eyes out thinking i have something
and i am scared to go get it checked out right now

i had unprotected sex

i have some small soars under my tongue
and now i have a cold soar on the outside of my mouth

any words of comfort?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
NYR19...no getting around it...you really should go to the clinic and tell them of your symptoms. It probably isnt anything major but get checked out..it could be a number of things. peace of mind would come with going to the doc.

2891, I don't know much about HAART but I think you are jumping the gun. You don't even know if you are HIV+ or not...get tested first and then we can worry about treatment...I have posted a new forum regarding HAART ...check it out.
http://ehealthforum.com/health/haart-or-hi ghly-active-antiretroviral-therapy-t137151 .html
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
yes buddy i am going to do a free screening( from Sydney Sexual Health Centre)for sexually transmitted infections including gonorrhoea, chlamydia, HIV, trichomoniasis, hepatitis B, syphilis, pubic lice, genital warts, genital herpes, pelvic inflammatory disease next week thats exactly after 2 months of exposure.. I am pretty much sure what i have.

@NYR19 i think u r perfectly alright its not HIV ,u dont have to worry..anyways get tested for all the above STDs
.after the unprotected sex when did u start getting these symptoms????
|

replied April 10th, 2008
OK
YEA I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT YOU ALL

WELL I STARTED TO GET THE SYMPTOMS ABOUT A WEEK AFTER

I HAD SOTMACH PAINS, AND HEADACHES
I ALREADY GOT TESTED FOR HERPES , GONDORHEA,CHLAMYDIA ..ETC...
I JUST WENT TO THE CLINIC TO GET TESTED FOR HIV/AID'S BUT I THINK IT'S A LIL TO EARLY TO FIND OUT

THIS HAPPENED ABOUT 1 1/2 AGO

AND STUPIDLY "I DID"!! IT UNPROTECTED

NEVER WILL I EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

I AM A FEMALE 19
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2008
Supporter
NYR19
It is recommended that one takes a HIV test three months after point of infection. This will be a blood test and is 98% accurate. There are a two percent of people who take six months to show up as HIV+.

When did it happen? I know you meant to say above but you didn't say if it was 1 1/2 weeks, months of years ago.

All the best
Muthoni (Mson)
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
dont panic NYR19
im sure u dont have hiv.normally it takes 3-4 weeks for hiv symptoms to show.it could be something minor.in average it takes 21to25 days for hiv antibody to develope..now a days advance tests like PCR test gives accurate results in 3 weeks after exposure. So u dont hav to wait.
So its better to get tested again for other stds after 4weeks..many stds can be cured easily if its found early after infection.dont wait till 3months.
Do you think the person u had sex with is safe??did you check with that person?
Never have sex without condoms.ill pray for you.thanku
|

replied April 13th, 2008
You guys are inspirational. That's all I can say.
Someone here should copy and paste this on a big health forum that AIDS researchers find...R-E-S-P-E-C-T guys. Good luck! If you die I will never forgive you! You have to fight it! Try getting a job in researching AIDS, that way your hypothesis may not take long to get a sample. Simply take a sample from yourself. Try animals, HIV/AIDS seems to have come from a sub-species of primates. Thanks, and good luck(repeats alot of times until someone screams shut-up). Sorry, I love humor in sad times to cheer up another person. If this makes you mad don't kill me...
|
Users who thank Temporary1 for this post: homerx 
12 >>