Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

Life After Meningitis

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
After contracting Meningococcal septicemia Meningitis last April I have had to fight to have a normal life. Its is not so much the people around me but my brains interpretation of what is happening around me.

Once upon a time I would be able to do 10 things at once, I would remember both important and silly things alike. Now I struggle to remember to put on my underwear in the morning.

I suffer from short term memory loss more than anything, especially when I’m stressed, my brain shuts down my speech, legs, arms and hearing. When really bad I have spasms and end up falling asleep, when I wake I have no memory of it. Before the meningitis I never got stressed, everything just went over my head and I would deal with every situation as it happened.

Now I find myself, talking to myself under my breath, stopping myself from having a go at my partner for no reason at all, ie not putting the milk back in the fridge after making tea. My once placid nature has been taken over by a questioning mind, never knowing what is right or wrong.

Before the meningitis I would only need to be told something once before I could understand it, now it takes maybe 1 or 2 days of going over it in my mind to get to grips with it.

The headaches come and go and the pains in the back of my neck seem to be like a wake up call to let me know when my brain is going on the blink. (This sounds strange I know but its true)

I started to learn about the way the brain works and this seams to help me understand why my brain works the way it is now but still leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Can anyone tell me if there is any rehab centers for people that have had meningitis?

I’m looking for something where there are doctors who can study the after effects of meningitis and find a solutions of sorts that may help the many people like me to live with everyday life again.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

Jayne
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tucy
|

replied December 28th, 2009
I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering. I had bacterial meningitis when I was 18 and now, 9 years later, I still find that I am not the same person I was then. My memory STINKS compared to before and I know that certain parts of my personality have changed as well. I have migraines. I find that my interaction with people isn't always what I would consider "normal" and I am definitely not as quick thinking as I was before. I haven't heard of any meningitis rehab other than physical therapy, which I had to do to regain use of my left side. I'll do some research and see if I can find anything that may help. Hang in there...

~Nicholle
|

replied February 8th, 2010
bad memory meningitis
i neeed help too!! i get picked on and told off at work bcos i seem disobediant, im not i just dont remember stuff - i dont even remember forgetting something until i get a grilling from my bosses!! i had it in 2006 and my memory is getting worse, just like all the other people who are ritting on this site - what can we do?? x x x
|

replied September 28th, 2010
Viral Menangitis
I had viral menangitis in 2007 and understand how difficult it can be remembering tasks at work. So I have had to create a task list and what I have done and what I have pending otherwise I go blank in meetings. I never told work about what happened to me and now I have been made redudant.
|

replied November 18th, 2011
Life after bacteria menigitis
I had bacteria meninigitis in 2010 and I have been having pains in my neck and back. Alao I have been having strange things happening to my body and going back and forth to the doctor. The diagnosis that I have been giving for these strang things makes me wonder because all the test aleays come back negitive. I'm not sure if these things are all side effects from the menigitis? I'm so tired of being in pain and telling my family that I'm in some sort of pain after being asked "how are you feeling". My husband supports me in every way and takes cae of me very well. I still work a full time job but I do walk alot taking care of seniors and wonder if that's wear the pain is coming from. I'm so tired of going back and forth to my doctor complaining about "PAIN", to me it's so embarrassing. I just want my life back of being healthy and not always discussing pain even to my husband!!!
|

replied June 18th, 2013
New normal
I also had Bacterial Meningitis in 2006 (in my early 30s) & also suffer from short term memory loss, especially when I don't sleep enough. My husband insists that I have a different personality although I don't see it. I also have an imbalance issue on my right side so I sometimes stagger like I'm drunk, when I'm not paying attention to balance. I consider myself very blessed to be alive & just live with my "new normal" but it doesn't make the remaining symptoms any easier to live with. I'm also wondering if their is some kind of cognitive therapy that would help. I do try to do puzzles, play sudoku, & solitaire to keep myself engaged & sharper. It's good to know what othersgo through & to know I'm not alone!
|