Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

lichen sclerosis

I have a condition called lichen sclerosis. In my case this means that my private area is now a very pale colour, and my labia minora, clitoris and clitoral hood have atrophied (shrunk) so there is very little left. I feel robbed of my sexuality. Anybody experienced something similar and coped with it? Also, does anyone have any information about possible reconstruction. (And yes, I am the same person who posted today on the "my husband is gay" topic. Welcome to my world!)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cshav
|

replied December 1st, 2009
lichen sclerosis
i am a former sufferer of lichen sclerosis. it was awful, tried lots of potential remedies and herbs, some eased the pain but did not cure it. could not handle the long term misery and losing my sexuality. i tried another route, based on the idea that the word lichen describes a type of fungus...when doing laundry spray your undies crotch with shout before washing, use detergent free of dyes and perfumes (all free and clear), rinse the load twice, do not use dryer sheets; in the bath add 3 big handfuls of epsom salts to water as hot as you can stand it and splash water onto the area, use fragrance free body wash (aveeno or store brand)instead of soap, look for shampoo with little fragrance or color; cut your fingernails so you won't injure yourself further, apply L-Lysine ointment with vitamins (by basic organics) available at gnc stores or online, do that OFTEN (it will feel good and heal), every time you go to the bathroom or feel the need to touch or rub; also take L-Lysine supplements 1000-1500 grams twice a day (available at drug stores), L-Lysine is an anti-fungal and amino acid and strengthens and rebuilds skin cells and won't hurt you; avoid alcohol. doing this regularly you will notice improvements but may take several months to totally get back to normal. when you do get back to normal, DON'T STOP doing these things. When you get to the point you can have sex again, you can use the ointment as lubricant, do not use any other lubricant. regular sexual activities, even oral sex, can be resumed when you are healed. but you probably won't want to use the ointment before oral sex. you will know when you are ready for activities, don't rush it. use a mirror to see the progress. don't give up! you can have your life back! ...been there, done that
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Lysine for Lichen sclerosis (sclerosus)
Hi
I have had success using lysine as well. I will definitely try the cream.

It makes me wonder if there is a viral basis to LS, because lysine is known for its antiviral treatment of herpes, which I also have. (there is also speculation that there might be an autoimmune or thyroid connection.)

If this is true I would think that the usual warning to avoid eating too much arginine (nuts, chocolate) might hold true in this case as well.

I hope this helps a little.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
Me Too!
I can't believe how much I have been through just to get to a diagnosis which I had to discover on my own after 8 months! My symptoms are EXACTLY what are described on the web. UGH Doctors are so worthless.

Anyway, I am never married/children, getting ready to turn 50, and have decided it's okay for me to get out there and have some fun. I'm not a virgin, but close to it. Now I can't have sex because of this condition! Ugh again.

I'm on a cortisone cream, but just for the vulva. Fortunately the burning is always on the bottom/back of the vaginal entry so I don't have a problem obtaining orgasm, especially with a massager, which I coat with the cortisone.

I am excited to try the Lysine. I have taken it before for my tongue and it worked wonderfully.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
I know it's not contagious, but since my clitoral area is doing okay would it be okay to have oral sex? Have any of you with regular partners done it (without the cream of course)? I'm more concerned about the man and whether he will notice than myself.
|
Quick Reply