Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Length of hospitalization after hernia surgery

User Profile
I have just had a triple hernia operation. My friends are of the opinion that there is no way I should be in so much pain. The pain I am experiencing is like stomach cramps/burning sensation. I'm having trouble lying down, getting out of bed, walking, breathing etc; I wish I could say, "yes they are right, I am wrong" however I know what pain I'm going through. I have had other operations in the past and know what pain is all about, from one out of ten I would easily put it eight.
I wish I was imagining but I know what pain I am feeling. Is it true that after hernia operations patients normally get up and walk out of hospital the same day of the operation? Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
Hernia Answer A10641
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You like to know whether patients normally get up and walk out of hospital the same day of the hernia operation.

Hernias are conditions when part of the peritoneum or bowels move through weak spots on the abdominal muscle wall and diaphragm, and protrude on the skin as lumps. Hernias can be treated surgically in two ways: open surgeries with or without usage of mesh, and with laparoscopy. If laparocopy is used, patients may get out of hospital faster than after open hernia repair surgery depending on the hospital protocol. If open surgery is used, patients may be left in hospital several days. They may also experience pain due to healing of the surgical cut. If there is inflammation(redness,swelling, edema near the cut), which doesn't mean that there is additional bacterial infection, individuals may also experience pain. Individuals may experience pain longer than the time needed for the cut to heal into scar tissue especially if mesh is used(the mesh scratches the nearest tissue and causes inflammation and forming of fibrous tissue.

Given the data that you described, you may experience the pain depending of the type and localisation of hernia repair surgery. The time spent in hospital after hernia repair surgery depends on the type of the procedure and the hospital protocol. You may consider taking analgetic for treatment of the pain.

Please keep in mind that I provide with medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or further advice and information about treatment of pain after hernia repair surgery.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.