Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Legs tensing and jerking while sleeping

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
My husband states that after I'm a sleep for a couple of hours my legs tense and shake. He states my toes curl and my foot jerks. I've tried an over the counter medicine for Restless Leg Symdrum. I not sure if this is what I have but he is worried about what is causing it. I take several different vitamins and I've looked the side effects for each, none seems to cause what going on.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 30th, 2009
It sound like you MAY have PLMS. I have been diagnosed with Periodic Leg Movement Syndrome (PLMS). It is characterized by repeated leg movement during sleep. Often, it can result in poor sleep quality - you tend to not feel as rested. Also, the sufferer is usually unaware of the condition and is sometimes alerted by his or her spouse/partner. The best way to confirm that you have PLMS is a sleep study. There are a wide range of treatments available. Generally,the first treatment to try is the drug mirapex but there are many other options. Here is a website to consider (RLShelp.org). BUT, I recommend talking to a neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders. It is very likely your doctor is only modestly informed on this rather complex subject. Best of luck.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
Thanks for your advise, I'll check into it.
|