Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

leg stiffness and back pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hey, I am new to the forum and I am a 24 years old male. It all started about 6 months ago. I started having off and on stiffness in my legs. They seemed to bother me more when standing for a while or getting up in the morning. It would always last for a month then go away. Well 2 months ago I started getting swelling and pain in my upper back and would feel bad when laying on it or sitting against it. That started to subside after a few weeks but then one morning about 2 wks ago I woke up w/a stiff right leg. The stiffness is centralized around my knee and it seems like there is a lump in my lower hamstring with a bunch of veins around it that are not present in my left leg. It feels better after stretching or walking for awhile but still persists. Since that started ive been having all sorts of problems. My back pain returned with increased stiffness in my upper back and neck w/pain and occasional lower back discomfort. I started having tremors/twitching in both feet at night when i relax them, weird feelings in my fingers and hands where it feels like i lose flexibility and my wrists and fingers get stiff. My right arm feels tired and ive started having dizzy spells. All these symptoms flucuate day 2 day and dont seem constant other than my right leg, but seem to bother the right side of my body more than my left. What do u think is going on? Thank you for your time!

Andy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2008
Doctor
It is very hard to say what is really going on without examination. It could be a neurological problem probably some neuropathy. It could be also some vascular disorder (enlarged superficial veins for example). Anxiety is also possible aspecialy at your age.
You need complete neurological examination. If that muscle stiffens and tremor is confirmed you may need additional tests like elctro-neuro-myo-graphy (ENMG), MRI of the spine and head.
|

replied July 8th, 2008
seriousness
It doesnt sound like the initial symptoms of anything serious does it, like ALS or MS or something?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Doctor
Both ALS and MS and many other neurological and non-neurological disorders can start with muscle stiffness. That's why you need to see a doctor, first, to check if you really have muscle stiffness or not and then if you really have muscle stiffness he will refer you to a neurologist for further diagnostic.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Neurology and back pain
I've had lower back/hip pain and stiffness (as well as limited wrist mobilty due to stiffness) on a daily basis for almost a year. It tends to be worse in the mornings. I thought I just strained something, and so did an ortho doc, so I just went to physical therapy a few times. I notice that when I move my neck the pain worsens. I can no longer lift my leg up higher than a 30 degree angle without pain. My mother has MS. I have had type I diabetes for over 20 years. Could this pain be due to neuropathy, should I be concerned about MS or should I just accept the pain as I have been ?
|

replied August 28th, 2011
Sore andStiff Legs
Hi,
I have had a lot of pain in the backs of my legs. I play a lot of sport and it started while i was playing, I use to have to come off in the middle of the game because my hamstrings/calves felt heavy and so sore when i ran. I have stopped playing for the past 4 months. I have been stretching my legs every morning and night for the past 4weeks, but after stretching my legs are just so stiff during the day, I find the stiffness so annoying, and it gets worse when i start to run.

Thanks for reading
Any help would be much appreciated
|

replied August 8th, 2012
Sounds like good advice.. I have a great neurologist. Make sure you have a good doctor who is willing to try to resolve your problems. Mri brain./Spine will diagnose everything from tumors, disc or spine problems.. congential defects.. Arnold Chiari Malformations. Nerve Conduction Studies help pin point nerve impulses. You talk about stiff muscles.. Look up Spasticity.. also you mention back pain.. you may have a herniated disc that is causing your problems. Cervical Cord.. higher up can cause numbness, balance issues, weakness.. I know all this.. because I work in the medical field.. work in neurosurgical unit.. also I am a patient with alot of these same problems.. Don't get discouraged.. go to a teaching hospital. Best of Luck
|