Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Leg shaking uncontrollably

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
User Profile
My 16 year old son came home from 1 hour bike ride. All the sudden his leg starting shaking uncontrollable. It will start and then stop. I think maybe it a pinched nerve from the bike riding. Is that correct?
It happen about a year ago he says but until now he mention it.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2010
Muscular and Nerve Disorders Answer A11062
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Any uncontrollable shaking of any part of the body can be considered a convulsive movement affecting that part. As it happened after a strenuous activity, it could be related to it.

It is very essential to rule out underlying pathologies like diabetes (which can produce convulsions in hypoglycemia), electrolyte imbalances due to dehydration, epilepsy and any intracranial pathology like space occupying lesions, aneurysms and tumors.

I suggest you to have examination done by a physician and necessary investigations like blood count, electrolytes, blood sugar levels and CT/MRI. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.