Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Leg pain after total knee replacement

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Having pain from ankle to knee after total knee replacement. A lot of brushing, no swelling.. Normal.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Lloyd51,

You do not say how long ago you had your total knee done. If you are just in the early post-op period, then yes this is very common.

But, if your TKR was done months or years ago, then no it is not normal.

If you just had the knee done, it is not uncommon for the bleeding from the bone when it is cut to migrate down into the calf region. This can cause quite a bit of bruising in the back of the leg, sometimes even all the way around the leg. In the immediately post op period it is also not uncommon for patients to still have some nerve pain from the tourniquet that is used during surgery, from compression by the dressing being too tight, or from positioning when sleeping or elevating the foot (as draping the knee over a pillow puts pressure on the nerves in the back of the knee).

But, if your surgery was done a long time ago, you should not be having bruising. There is a condition called a Baker's cyst, where a cyst forms in the back of the knee. This cyst connects to the knee cavity. It can enlarge and burst, then the fluid and bleeding can travel down into the calf.

Anytime you have bruising for no apparent reason in the leg, you have to also rule out DVT or blood clots.

You should probably contact your total joint surgeon for advise as how to proceed. Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2011
My TKR was a little over 7 weeks ago and I had a blood clot on the 3rd day. I had calf pain, also numbness, burning tingling from calf to toes well into the 4th and 5th week after. I took some advice someone posted here and slept with my butt almost up to the wall and put my feet on wall. This did 2 things: it took down the swelling in the whole TKR leg AND got rid of the tingling, numbness and burning. Of course I couldn't sleep that way all night, but I fell asleep that way and when I woke up, I shifted to my side. I put a pillow between knees, but that eventually made the nerve problems come back after about an hour, so I found that if I was careful, I could sleep without the pillow if I left space between my legs and bent them at the knee. An added advantage of bending the knees is there is greater ROM in the morning!
|

replied May 25th, 2012
Total Knee Replacement
My mom had a total knee replacement at the end of Feb. She is doing very well in physical therapy. Getting around great without requiring any assistance, but she is still having the daily complaint of numbness below her knee. She says she gets these random surges of pain, but mostly her shin is numb. Has anyone else experienced this? is there anything she can do to make this better? does she have hope that it will go away or will it be like this forever?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
nerve issues in TKR recovery
Each person is different, hence each has different issues with a TKR. The nerves in the leg are affected greatly by the TKR procedure. It is, after all, a major surgery. The surgeon pushes everything out of the way to be able to work on the knee. The nerves get so mixed up, it takes awhile for them to get back to "normal". I had my TKR 11/1/11. I had tingling and numbness for about 2-3 months. Now I may get it if I cross my legs too long, which is normal for most anyone. I am now able to do almost everything I did before, except for bending my leg as much as my "normal" leg. If I stand for too long (2 hrs?), my knee swells and I have to sit for about 20 minutes before I can do standing activities. Also knee is stiff in the morning and I have to do some bending to get it going right. I am able to walk 3 miles with no problems and have resumed roller skating. I think if you search on the internet for your circumstances, you will find there is someone else that experienced the same things. In the majority of the cases, there was nothing wrong with the TKR procedure or the joint. It's just reassuring to know that others had this happen too. I think the numbness and/or tingling will disappear within 6 months. Also to consider is the age of the person. The older you are, the longer you will take to heal. Hoping this helps out. If it helps to know, I am female, 58 now, was 57 when TKR was done.
|

replied July 25th, 2013
8 years post TKR problems
I have been having daily leg swelling, pain in the leg and weakness in the leg that causes my leg to give way. There is also red rashy look at the bottom half of my leg which my pcp says looks like a circulation problem. I had my TKR in 2005. For the last year the replacement just hasn't felt right. I went back to my surgeon and he xrayed it and said everything was ok. It is not ok and does not feel right.
|