Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Wound Care Forum

Leg leaking fluid?

I was cleaning my floor (on bended knee's) and a kabob stick punctured a tiny hole in my shin. This was last night, and since then it's been leaking a water-like fluid. it's now 6:30pm, the day after, and it's still leaking. Why/ what is this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
ClumsyDits90,

That is interstitial fluid. This is the same fluid that makes up the liquid portion of blood.

When a person has swelling in the extremities, like at the end of the day, it is this fluid that accumulated to form the edema.

Interstitial fluid is normally found between the cells of the body. There is normally always a little of it around all cells in the body. There is more of it in adipose tissue than in muscle.

Remember, the human body is over 70% water. So, the average human will have about 11 liters of interstitial fluid though out the body.

If the “leaking” does not stop on its own, you should clean the wound thoroughly and then apply some compression to it, just as if it was bleeding. Don’t keep looking to see if it has stopped, just keep applying pressure for about 15-20 minutes. Then apply a compressive dressing; a gauze pad and an ace wrap (just don’t make the ace so tight that you cut off the circulation).

Watch for signs of infection. Puncture wounds tend to have more problems than lacerations or slices.

Good luck. Hope you are doing well.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply