Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Left temple headache and, pain when coughing

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi,
I have been having a right temple headache on and off for about 6weeks, along with a feeling of pressure behind my eye. Also a sharp pain in my temple or top of my head when bending / sneezing / coughing. The headache comes and goes and isn't very painful but I am aware that it is there. Sometimes I will have no headache until I sneeze or cough or bend and that triggers it.
My GP initially said it was congestion and told me to take painkillers etc.. I went back to see her today and she said it was probably congestion but the pressure pain in my head when bending / sneezing was a worry and could be a mass in my brain. She has referred me for a CT scan. I googled brain tumours and masses and have no other symptons, no nausea or vomiting, loss of memory, concentration, numbness, trouble with speech etc...Funnily enough I mentioned some pain in my left ear from time to time and down my left side of the neck etc and she hasn't even bothered to examine this.
I had an eye exam just when this all started and it was fine. I also visited a chiropractor about a week before my first headache and had some neck adjustments and am thinking it could still be related to that.
I am a young mum with three small children, who emmigrated to another country and have no family around me and I am scared. Please can anyone offer advice. Does this sound like a brain mass?
Thank you
Melanie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2011
Experienced User
You may want to look into (chronic) sinusitis.

From Wikipedia:

Headache/facial pain or pressure of a dull, constant, or aching sort over the affected sinuses is common with both acute and chronic stages of sinusitis. This pain is typically localized to the involved sinus and may worsen when the affected person bends over or when lying down. Pain often starts on one side of the head and progresses to both sides.[9]

Acute and chronic sinusitis may be accompanied by thick nasal discharge that is usually green in colour and may contain pus (purulent) and/or blood.[citation needed] Often a localized headache or toothache is present, and it is these symptoms that distinguish a sinus-related headache from other types of headaches, such as tension and migraine headaches. Infection of the eye socket is possible, which may result in the loss of sight and is accompanied by fever and severe illness. Another possible complication is the infection of the bones (osteomyelitis) of the forehead and other facial bones - Pott's puffy tumor.[9]

Sinus infections can also cause inner ear problems due to the congestion of the nasal passages. This can be demonstrated by dizziness, "a pressurized or heavy head", or vibrating sensations in the head.

Hope this may help you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?