Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Left side chest pain due to gallbladder/GERD or weak sphincter?

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
Hello All, I have been going through the forum posts here to see if anyone who had left chest pain due to bad gallbladder, and if there was someone, did it help after getting gallbladder removed.

I have been having almost constant chest pain on the left side only (mainly around mid-chest on left side) and sometimes at lower end of sternum on left side for last two months. I also have episodes of nausea and/or dizziness sometimes. I have been to ER thinking it was my heart and then through series of tests - EKG's, Stress test, blood tests, HIDA scan, ultrasound, endoscopy. Almost all tests were normal except ultrasound where they saw gallstones. Endoscopy confirmed redness little inflammation of esophagus and stomach - confirming GERD - which I have been fighting for a long time now. I am taking Omerapazole twice daily but it doesn't seem to help with the chest pain at all.

I have met my primary physician and GI. My primary physician has told me he thinks this is costochondritis causing the chest pain, and my anxiety(I agree I have been way too much worried and irritated last 2-3 months due to chest pain) or reflux for nausea. My GI tends to agree; they are not totally sold on gallbladder being root cause of chest pain mainly because I don't have any pain on the right chest or abdomen area, it is only on the left side. However, my GI asked me to get another ultrasound and is going to monitor me and have said depending on how I feel in a month or two removing gallbladder is an option - only risk with this is if gallbladder isn't causing me the chest pain right now, I may have chest pain even after gallbladder is removed.

I am hoping someone can share their experience, if they had left chest pain due to gallbladder, and how/what they did to help them. Also, I have been reading that GERD/weak sphincter (both of which I have) can cause chest Pain - and what can be done about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2011
My experience suggests that left chest pain is never from the gall bladder, and it is unlikely from GERD. Constant left chest pain may be local musculoskeletal in origin or from the spine, and could conceivably be due to some irritation under the left diaphragm. Sometimes arthritis in the upper spine will cause left chest pain. You don't mention your age and whether simple measures like local heat or Tylenol or position or eating affects the pain.
I hope these suggestions help, but please keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online so do consult with your physician.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
My wife has some of the same symptoms as you describe. SHe has been sick for a year now. Had her gall bladder removed. Still has nausea, vomiting, severe chest and left rib pains that radiate toward the side and back. Also pain and pressure radiating up sternum. She is sick most of the time and then has horrific attacks that would resemble a heart attack. ER says no heart attack and sends her home. Doctors cant figure it out...more testing scheduled meanwhile she cant lead a normal life of a 30 year old otherwise very healthy woman.
|

replied December 4th, 2012
chest pain
my chest left side is paining when i press my chest only left side why ?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.