Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Left side abdominal pain, and headache/dizziness

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hello,
I've had a very mild pain in my left side abdomen, just under my ribs, for over a year. This pain was often only felt when I move certain ways, or if I would actually press on the area with my hand using a moderate amount of force. I didn't notice very often, but I went to the doctor and had a CT scan of the abdomen in March of 2010 which didn't show any abnormalities.
Recently, I've been having mild pains in my lower left abdomen which are not constant, but have been waking me up in the middle of the night and the only way I can ease the throbbing type of pain is to sit upright to sleep. Again, the pain is not sharp or severe, it's more of a dull throbbing pain. I've also now had mild headaches with facial flushing on and off for a couple of weeks, but no fever. Bowel movements have been normal, and I have suffered no loss of appetite nor have I had any nausea. Also, I have not been losing weight.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Edit: I forgot to add that I had a CBC blood test two weeks ago which showed normal results as well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2011
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

From the available history, the symptom of left sided abdominal pain or discomfort, could be a sign of Gastric reflux, Peptic ulcer disease.

The history provided here alone is not enough to make a definitive diagnosis.

Some important aspects of management of GERD include dietary and lifestyle modification, physical exercise, weight loss, maintaining adequate hydration.

Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

Medications like Antacids (maalox, tums), Acid reducing medications (prilosec, nexium) can be helpful to reduce your symptoms.

You might consider consulting your general physician or a gastroenterologist who after a physical examination may determine to get additional tests to detect H-Pylori infection in the stomach or a Upper GI endoscopy may be helpful to derive a definitive diagnosis to your problem.

Based on the outcome of the H pylori screening tests, a course of anti-H pylori treatment for 3-4 weeks will also help.

Upper GI endoscopy may also reveal any other pathology in the intestines and provide a definitive diagnosis to your problem.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.