Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Left rib cage swollen

Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
I noticed that the bottom of my left rib cage ( my 10, 11, 12 ribs) has been what looks like swollen for a couple of years now. So it sticks out a little bit further than the other side. It never really bothered me until recently. Sometimes it feels like there might be something underneath it making it push out or its crushing something that its on top of. It isn't "painful" but really uncomfortable. Its getting more and more uncomfortable the more time that passes. Now when I sit it gets even more uncomfortable.

I was reading around on the site and found people with problems like this and some one said something about constipation. Now if this has anything to do with it I have ALWAYS had a problem with that. I know for sure that my B.M aren't what they should be( meaning - I don't go as often as I think I should be going, and when I do go I'm constipated and only little "pebbles" come out.) and I have just lived with that. Do you think it has something to do with that? I wouldn't be suprised.

Thank you for your help. This is sort of embarrassing Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Balenciaga
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
I have swell at exactly the same place. as you say left side sticks a bit more to front. It's not painful but I don't sleep face down anymore because left side sticks into the bed feeling uncomfortable. I can't sit or lie twisted it doesnt feel nice. I don't know what caused that.
As for constipation, I don't have that problem, I can say that job is systematic for me. i dont think they would be related but let's wait for someone to answer as well
|

replied October 27th, 2009
Why does my spleen feel swollen years after my accident?
I had a car accident several years ago and broke three ribs. I thought i was over it but last year the same problem your both experiencing is happening to me, with an exception i have severe gas and abdomenol pain. It hurts so bad i lie in bed all day on my days off work. I've even resorted to taking painkillers when i absolutely cant take it anymore. I have no insurance so i was looking for which doctor i need to see without wasted a bunch of money going from one to another, any help would be great.
|

replied June 20th, 2010
for the past 3 mos I have noticed my lower couple of ribs on the left side are protruding. Just in the last few days I have had a swollen sort of knot like there is an organ swollen and pushing the ribcage outward. It is very tender. The bone itself does not hurt but the tissue just beneath the bottom rib on the left.u can visibly see a swollen area. Help me it hurts. Please tell me if you know what could be causing this.
|

replied August 27th, 2010
Did anyone find out what this was from? I have this too and was recently dx'd with celiac disease. I have an endoscopy next week also. My left ribs hurt and it feels like there is something stuck under them, then the pain wraps around the back. I cannot sleep on my left side and the pain is worse when sitting.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
my girlfriend has the same rib problem and has had celiac for a while now. i was wondering if you have figured out the cause of this being it has been about a year now since this post, if you could please notify me an answer it would be greatly appreciated! email me if u could, thank you
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
Mine is similar, I had a car accident 4 months ago and bruised my ribs. I was in so much pain for about a month or two and the pain is gone but its still swollen and droopy. Its like a 3rd boob! ;)But ever since my accident, ive had this weird feeling just below. If i'm sitting or leaning over and then stand back up, it feels almost as though something is sticking to each other and then it seperates. It's so strange and getting worse. Not so much painful, just uncomfortable and scary. I get health insurance next month but i'm dying to know what it is now!
|

replied July 4th, 2011
My Second and Third ribs are swollen from car accident in may 2008. My ribs are steel swollen for over 3 years. try medication that did not work will i need surgery to fix my swollen ribs
|

replied July 4th, 2011
My Second and Third ribs are swollen from car accident in may 2008. My ribs are steel swollen for over 3 years. try medication that did not work will i need surgery to fix my swollen ribs
|

replied September 20th, 2011
swollen sphleen
ok , i have a swollen area on my left side as well, broke a rib that seems to be real sensitive years ago
i too blow up when i eat cant sleep on my left side, uncomfortable , cant sleep o n my right side very uncomfortable as well, due to fatty liver cant sleep on my back due to discs just horrible have resorted to taking extra gabepentins they are for my nerve damage due to diabetes. and melatonin to sleep. i feel awful. can someone help me my sphleen cramps but not all the time.
|

replied September 20th, 2011
swollen sphleen
ok , i have a swollen area on my left side as well, broke a rib that seems to be real sensitive years ago
i too blow up when i eat cant sleep on my left side, uncomfortable , cant sleep o n my right side very uncomfortable as well, due to fatty liver cant sleep on my back due to discs just horrible have resorted to taking extra gabepentins they are for my nerve damage due to diabetes. and melatonin to sleep. i feel awful. can someone help me my sphleen cramps but not all the time.
|