Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Left foraminal disc herniation with inferior extension L5-S1.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
My son was involved in a serious automobile accident while on the job. After almost two months, the Workman's Comp doctor finally sent him for an MRI. The following are the findings from that MRI. Could you please translate this into something we can understand:
"The findings were the spine is anatomically aligned, the vertebral body heights are preserved. There are modic changes seen in the posterior endplates at L5-S1. There is disc desiccation and slight decreased height at L4-L5 and L5-S1. The conus ends at L1. From L1 to L3 & L4 the canal and foramina are widely patent. At L4 & L5 spondylosis contributes to mild canal and foraminal stenosis. At L5-S1 there is a left foraminal disc herniation with slight inferior extention. There is existing nerve root contact with moderate foraminal stenosis on the left side. There is a mild right foraminal stenosis. There is a lateral recess effacement and mild stenosis of the canal.
IMPRESSION: Left foraminal disc herniation with inferior extension L5-S1. There is exiting nerve root contact on the left with moderate left foraminal stenosis, lateral recess effacement and mild canal stenosis. Spondylosis at L4-L5 without significant stenosis."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 29th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
your son has a herniated disc that is causing some pressure on spinal nerves. he also has a bone spur on the vertebrae above the disc herniation at the bottom of his lumbar spine. he should be seeing either a neuro or ortho spine surgeon for diagnosis and treatment plan. you may be smart to get a workmens comp lawyer involved. especially where it took so long to get mri. i assume he has a lot of pain. be carefull as WC tries to keep costs down at expense of patient....best of luck with this trouble....pete
|
Users who thank pete81241 for this post: tftmom 

replied September 29th, 2010
Thank you for your reply and recommendations, Pete! In fact, he has gotten a lawyer involved (which I feel is the reason WC "decided" it was time for the MRI!). Now the WC doctor has referred him to an orthopedic surgeon but he has not heard with who or when yet. He is indeed in A LOT of pain, especially after WC sent him for PHYSICAL THERAPY without benefit of an MRI OR a diagnosis! I wonder, can one sue Workman's Comp? My son is lucky he is not paralyzed because of Workman's Comp!! Again, thank you for your prompt response, your description is clear vs. the MRI Report!
|