Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Left chest and arm pain, shortness of breath.. Dr. said all well

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
I am an 18 y/o female with musuclar dystrophy. Went to the ER w chest pain after 3 days of suffering through sharp pains behind my left breast and back, and dull aches in my left shoulder and arm. I have also been extremely breathless off and on. Called 911 yesterday because my heart was beating extremely hard, I was breathless and broke out into a full body cold sweat... EMTs recorded my heart rate as fluctuating between 120-135. EKG was normal, BP normal, oxygen levels normal and chest X ray seemed normal. Only abnormal thing was that my blood sugar level was somewhat low and I had some sort of pH imbalance in my blood (more acidic than usual). Dr. said this was caused by something ingested, but I don't know if this is dangerous...

I am going to make a cardio and neuro appointment for next week but in the meantime, I am seriously terrified of what will happen to me. Crying or Very sad I am still having sharp-dull aches around my left breast and back and arm, and am somewhat breathless. Breathlessness subsides with lying down and rest. Sleep is normal. Could I have a heart attack soon, even though most of my tests were normal?

Dr. also said I seemed very anxious and gave me atavan thru IV to calm me down and make my heart rate go down and sent me home with 20 xanax. The xanax aren't helping. I am so scared that I'm going to have a heart attack. Could I have an artery blockage?

If it counts, I am also on my period. Thanks for any help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2012
I am certainly no expert on muscular dystrophy, but do not think that the chest pains you are describing are cardiac in origin. The period of rapid heart rate may have been due to stress, or could have been related to your breathlessness.
There is nothing to point to your having "a heart attack" or having the threat of such an event. Indeed, it would be most unusual at your age, sex, etc.
One wonders why you are short of breath, and whether this relates to weakness. It might be a good idea for you to have a pulmonary function study and I suggest you discuss this with your cardiologist when you see him.
Please keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.