Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Left arm numb and lightheaded

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
ok here is the thing with me. my left arm goes numb and i get very light headed. this happens only in the morning about 1 to 2 hrs after i get out of bed. i have no idea what is going on and i would really like to know if these symptoms are a sign of something serious. it worries me i am only 22 years old so if you could please tell me and explanation or give me some things that have these symptoms in them.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2010
Clinical Trials, Research, and Studies Answer A11313
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

There’s a possibility of you sleeping by keeping your left arm under your head or under the pillow and this is one of the common causes of the hand going numb in the morning.

This occurs due to the compression of the radial nerve and there’s a transient pressure effect and it goes away on its own.

Please avoid putting your arm under the head in future and this should definitely help you.

If the symptoms persist throughout the day, then it is really worrisome and will need further evaluation by a neurologist. I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.