Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Left arm, chest and shoulder pain

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I'm 25 years old, 130 lb and around 5"9

For the last 8 months or so I've been getting pain in my left arm, upper left chest and left shoulder regions. It seems to be constant for a few weeks, then leave and return months later. The pain in my arm is more of a constant dull ache and I cannot pin point where it's coming from as it seems to cover from my elbow to my wrist, sometimes my fingers also. The shoulder pain is more of the same, a dull ache around that region. However the chest pain is more of a short, stabbing sensation which randomly affects any area of my upper left chest, the same pain has also affected me as low as the bottom left side of my rib cage. Strangely, but very rarely I also get the same pain in the right side of my upper chest. The chest pains are very occasional and not happening all the time, like the arm and should pain which are almost constant.

Due to the obvious stress this is causing me I visited the A&E department, to which they took my blood pressure, did two ECG scans and a chest x-ray. All returned as normal with no anomalies. I was then sent home as they couldn’t find anything wrong with me, told to return if the pain continues and that the cause was likely due to anxiety. Within the next few days the pain stopped and for a good two months after all was fine. Unfortunately like before the pains have returned.

I purchase a home cholesterol kit as I thought my diet could be the cause of the problem. The test returned very low levels of cholesterol, within the ‘very good’ region, 3.9 I believe the reading was.

There is no history of heart disease or high blood pressure within my family.

The stress of the constant arm pain and occasional chest pain is stressing me out to the degree where I’m close to breaking out in tears; the anxiety is absolutely killing me. I’ve taken steps to improve my diet and increase the amount of exercise I do.

I believe it may be possible I could have injured my left shoulder somehow, as it tends to ache when there are no other pains and leaning on my left should also hurts to a small degree around the joint, could this be causing all these problems, or is it all in my head?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

From the extensive history, it seems that your pain issues are mostly of musculo-skeletal origin. Also since all the tests and examination by doctors have been normal there is nothing to be concerned about.

Presence of pain that can be reproduced by pressure on the local area, indicates musculoskeletal pain.

If the pain is intolerable, conducting an MRI of the affected parts would be beneficial.

In addition adequate pain killers, rest and physiotherapy for 2-3 weeks may help to relieve your symptoms.

But since the lung function tests are normal as is the physical examination by your doctor, there should not be any worry.

In case you have doubts persisting, you may consider to take a second opinion.

I hope this helps

|

replied April 13th, 2012
Hello just wondering I have had X-rays cat scan of head and abdominal area also tones of ECG blood work and stress test all cam back good I recently had mri of C spine upper back and left shoulder shoulder showed messed up muscles so had another done with contrast it came back good but I still have dull tingling pain in left shoulder that radiates down arm and under arm to my chest is there something else that could be tested for I also have tingling in my face and cheek area
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2012
hello
hello i just want to ask u a question i have a backpain heartpain and left shoulder pain and plus i got blisters on my right foot? can anyone help me ?
|

replied August 27th, 2013
update
Any news?
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Any news?
|

replied October 22nd, 2013
left arm chest shoulder back dull ache pain
I have the same issues ...been to the e.r. now 3 times fearful of stroke or heart attack ...I just hear the same things from the docs ...anxiety ...guess it can cause these simialr symtoms ...its off and on and strokes out of nowhere ...dull ache in left arm chest the trapezius and behind the wcapula ...massage seems to help ...I believe it could be a pinched nerve or poor co culation causing lactic acid buildup in muscles causing tension...I'm worried its a curculatory thing maybe angina or something ...no health insurance here so I can't exactly afford a cardiologist ...but I get spradic burning sensation and sweaty palms and shortness of breath and dizziness ...I dunno if its me giving into the unknowniness of it and fear of heart attack causing anxiety .... I found a site the other day talki g about trogger point massge to help ane the diagram shows exactly where I have symtoms ...so now I just gotta find someone who knows what's uo to approach with therapuetic massage...I'm 30 lean build healthy except this dn reoccuring dscomfort ...worried about getting depressed becsuse of this uncontrollable variable in my life ...xanax works most of the te ...but like I daid I hav no idea why it happens hop fully someone that has had similar symptoks and a success story will be able to answer this forum for all of us . Good luck to you
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.