Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Leaning to the Left

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I'm very concerned about my 17 year old daughter. Recently she has been experiencing kind of a dizzy feeling, and feeling like she's leaning to the left.It doesn't happen every day ..... It's like every 2 or 3 days. She's been experiencing it for about 3 weeks now. Also, it doesn't matter of the body position ..... two times sitting and two times standing. The last time, she was sitting in one of her classes at school.....She said it really scared her to the point where she almost started crying. The episodes only last from maybe 30 seconds to 1 - 1 1/2 minutes.

Her past medical history is:

* Severe headaches since she's been 4 years old. They did a CT Scan and MRI many years ago, but it was normal. Her doctors felt that maybe her headaches were migraines.....However, she never experienced other symptoms associated with migraines, such as, halos. She does vomit sometimes though. They gave her presciption meds, because instead she (we) have controlled her headaches for 13 years with OTC meds (Advil, Tylenol, etc.). She does continue to get severe occasional headaches though.

* She had numerous sinus infections for years. Approx. 4-5 years ago she had surgery to drain her sinuses. Since then, she occasionally gets congested, but nothing severe like before. She said she isn't congested right now (with the leaning feeling).

* This past year she has became very dizzy and basically fainted to the ground 2 times. She has been dizzy multiple other times without fainting also. Her doctor thought maybe she wasn't eating right which was causing her dizziness .... But, actually she has always eaten pretty well....Pretty well-balanced. Her blood tests were all "normal".

My daughter doesn't complain about aches and pains, not even when she has broken a bone, or anything like that .... She's a tough person that even competed high-level gymnastics with torn ankle tendons and shin splints ...... So when she tells me something isn't right, I LISTEN!! And for it to scare her to the point of crying, something is seriously going on and it's truly worrying me.

* Also, one more thing ..... My daughter's aunt (on her dad's side) had an aneurysim when she was 20 eyars old. She died. I've heard conflicting info as to whether aneurysisms are hereditary or not.

So, should I be frantic concerned about this "leaning" feeling? Do you have any idea what could cause this feeling?

Thanks for your help!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kappy
|

replied September 10th, 2008
Hello,
Im 19 years old, i know im young, but considering her history, i think you should go see a neurologists. Just to rule out anything that shouldn't be there.
|

replied September 26th, 2008
sorrowprincess wrote:
Hello,
Im 19 years old, i know im young, but considering her history, i think you should go see a neurologists. Just to rule out anything that shouldn't be there.

Thanks for advice. I finally did make an appointment with a Neurologist. I first took her to our regular Internal Medicine doctor....which he said maybe she's having heavy menstrual cycles that's making her feel like this (anemia). Honestly, I don't buy it!! I, myself, have been extremely anemic a few times (having to get blood transusions), but I have never felt like I was "leaning to my left side (or right" ... I mean, that kind of dizziness is totally different. Besides that, like I said before, my daughter is a gymnast, and sometimes she complains about her back hurting her. She did have a CT scan for this pain about 8-9 months ago, but it was normal ..... BUT, I'm still thinking maybe this back pain and the feeling of leaning to the left has something to do with each other.

Soooooo, anyway, HOPEFULLY, we can find out what's going on. It's truly worrying me. I'm also afraid she's going to pass out at school or somewhere else ..... particularly while she's driving .... THAT'S A SCAREY THOUGHT!!! scared

Thanks again!!!

Kappy
|

replied September 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I would keep that appointment with the neurologist. Anemia due to menstruation? Only if your daughter is soaking a pad or tampon every one to two hours. The dizziness can be due to several things. An MRI would be prudent. A tilt test may also reveal some important information. A good neurologist will do all of these tests and more. Let us know how her visit goes.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
leaning to the left
i am having the same problem right now. i keep leaning to the left. when i went to the bathroom this morning i nearly fell off the left side. i asked my formally nurse mom whats wrong but shes too busy with the business. i hope its nothing serious..
|

replied August 7th, 2009
also, i am 17 years old.
|

replied November 12th, 2010
LEANING TO LEFT FEELING
What ever happened with your daughter, i am 30 an dhaving the same leaning to the left feeling for the past week. i have had 2 seizures in the past 2 years and they came on out of no where as well, i see a neurologist and called her about this feeling i am having and she said to keep taking my anti seizure meds. gotta luv the concern... hope your daughter is better now!
|

replied April 7th, 2011
Look up the symptoms of Hydrocephalus on a site like webmd.com. I was experiencing similar symptoms to your daughter's, and was diagnosed when I was 16. Tell the neurologist to check into the possibility of this being the issue. Hydrocephalus is a highly treatable disease, when detected early.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Hello I am from the uk and experience all of the symptoms of your daughter. I was diagnosed with a condition called POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) I am still undergoing treatment so do not know if my symptoms are all to do with POTS. I also get attacks of BPPV which is an inner ear problem with very similar symptoms to your daughter. The POTS was picked up from a tilt table test which is a very simple test that gives excellent results for what can be going on with reerence to dizziness. I hope you get sorted and find the cause for your daughters condition. The symptoms are extremely distressing so I wish her all the best and a speedy recovery.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Migraines and left sided leaning
Hi, I am 55 yo female and have had migraines for too many years to count. Six years ago I started to have TIA's and then one day I started to lean to the left and after a few days had a severe stroke. About a month later I had a second stroke and by the grace of god and my neurosurgen I am in one piece and able to function.

I would highly suggest that your daughter have a profusion MRI to see if there is a narrowing of arteries or a blockage of the blood flow in her brain. I agree it is imparative for your daughter to keep her appointment with the neurologist.

By the way I too have been on anti-seizure meds for six years now.
|

replied February 24th, 2013
Leaning to Left
I am 53 years old and am experiencing random spells of leaning to the left. The spells occur instantly without any warning and can occur regardless of whether I have been walking, standing, or lying. During the spell, I sway repeatedly to the left, while in a deep mental fog. Mentally, I am not there. In 1-2 minutes, I return to awareness and eventually feel normal again. At times, I only sway repeatedly to the left, and at times I fall unconscious onto the floor. One doctor tells me I have POTS, while another doctor tells me I have Barorecptor Reflex Failure because I also have extreme high and low blood pressure readings. I was referred yesterday by my Mayo physician for neurological testing in two weeks. During a neurological exam, I leaned significantly to the left, when he asked me to close my eyes and extend both arms in front of me. I'm eager to see the results. I belive I have more than one form of Dysautonomia, which is an umbrella term. I have more than just Baro., but also something that is neurological. I had a severe and prolonged grand mal sezuire, on the right side of my brain, in March 2010, due to 300+ blood pressure. I believe there is a relationship between the severe seizure and leaning to my left.
|

Leaning to Left
I am 53 years old and am experiencing random spells of leaning to the left. The spells occur instantly without any warning and can occur regardless of whether I have been walking, standing, or lying. During the spell, I sway repeatedly to the left, while in a deep mental fog. Mentally, I am not there. In 1-2 minutes, I return to awareness and eventually feel normal again. At times, I only sway repeatedly to the left, and at times I fall unconscious onto the floor. One doctor tells me I have POTS, while another doctor tells me I have Barorecptor Reflex Failure because I also have extreme high and low blood pressure readings. I was referred yesterday by my Mayo physician for neurological testing in two weeks. During a neurological exam, I leaned significantly to the left, when he asked me to close my eyes and extend both arms in front of me. I'm eager to see the results. I belive I have more than one form of Dysautonomia, which is an umbrella term. I have more than just Baro., but also something that is neurological. I had a severe and prolonged grand mal sezuire, on the right side of my brain, in March 2010, due to 300+ blood pressure. I believe there is a relationship between the severe seizure and leaning to my left.
|

Leaning to Left
|