Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Leakage of urine during coughing

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
i have had a cold for about 5 days now when i cough i pee! its not just a dribble its a lot! is this normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2010
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A14467
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

In cases of a sudden increase of the abdominal pressure such as during coughing, individuals can experience leakage of urine or urination if the urinaary bladder is full with urine at the same time. This condition may normally appear in various individuals and may last during the time they experience the cold and the coughing. If individuals experience leakage of urine without any provocative factor such as coughing, further examination is required to exclude possible incontinence.

Accroding to the data that you described, you may be experiencing the leakage of urine due to increased abdominal pressure which appears during coughing. If you still experience leakage of urine without experiencing coughing, see a urologist to exclude possible incontinence.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a urologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.