Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Lateral parasthesia waist-down ?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I am numb from waist-down to my feet equally on both sides. It started with cold in my feet about a week ago and then my bottom became numb. Yesterday I woke numb from hips down which grew to my waist by bedtime. This morning I woke with spasms and beginning of motor weakness. I am walking like a stroke victim today. I was diagnosed with RR MS 15 years ago with onset of optic neuritis and have had no other symptoms since. I went to the emergency yesterday and was told it can't be MS because it doesn't manifest laterally, only bi-laterally - and they sent me home with a number to a neurologist who can't fit me in until May! Is it MS - should I be more worried than I am?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I went to the emergency yesterday and was told it can't be MS because it doesn't manifest laterally, only bi-laterally....

marture....Get a second opinion as soon as possible...MS is NOT predictable and if it wants to present itself laterally then it will. Were any tests ran while in the ER?

Zig
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2010
MS-Numbness from the waist down
Marture, I am going through the exact same thing as we speak. This is the second time since 2001. I don't have optic neuritis, but the numbness from the waist down started about 3 days ago after having severe pain in my right leg. So severe I thought I had fractured it. I went to sleep 3 nights ago and woke up with no pain but numbness from the waist down. I was dxed with MS in 2007 after 25 years of thinking I was crazy due to severe anxiety/panic attacks and uncontrollable shaking of my entire body. I had an MRI yesterday (Fri.) and get the results back Wed. Zig is correct. MS is unpredictable and can affect both sides of your body at once. The 1st time this happened it lasted 6 weeks. Now I will see what my DR. says on Wed. and probably just have to wait it out until feeling comes back. No Lhermittes sign with this attack, but def. with last one. Good luck and keep us posted.
D
|

replied June 5th, 2010
This was my first episode with diagnosed MS---transverse myelitis. I became paralyzed from my lower ribs to my knees, with pain below on both legs. I felt nothing, including when the door hit me on the way out (you should have seen the bruise!) When the cats rubbed against me it was excruciating. It took it 5 doses of prednisone to relieve the pain and numbness. This is very possible with MS, so don't listen to an emergency room doc to get a diagnosis, please. Better to go with an MRI and a consultation with a neurologist.
|