Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

late and instead have had clear, very stretchy discharge

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am 3 days late on my period and instead have had clear, very stretchy discharge. I have taken pregnancy tests as I have had several symptoms (these could also be from AF)and they have all turned up negative. I have had a crampy feeling like I am going to be getting my period, but I haven't yet. I have had the sore breasts, hot flashes, feeling of fatigue, nausea, heart burn, and achy body. If I am not pregnant, what is going on? Should I see a Dr? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A40463
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms of delayed periods, clear vaginal discharge, abdominal cramps, sore breasts, hot flashes, fatigue, nausea, heartburn, body ache, etc., that you describe could be suggestive of few of early symptoms of pregnancy. Wait and watch for your periods. Look out for development of any other new symptoms if pregnancy is suspected. If the symptoms remain persistent, or if periods do not start within 10 days of expected period dates, or if you have abnormal periods, or if you suspect chances of pregnancy, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Urine pregnancy test kits usually start showing positive results after about 18-20 days post-conception (roughly corresponding to about 1 week after your missed/altered periods) and you can get false negative results with urine pregnancy tests done very early in pregnancy, as the kits are calibrated ones, so unless the hormone levels in urine reach a certain level, they do not show positive results. The test should always be done on early morning first urine sample to get accurate results (pregnancy hormone HCG is believed to be in highest concentration in this sample, and you should avoid lot of fluid intake and caffeinated beverages in the night before taking the test). Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.