Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Large hard stools

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi,
I'm a 49 year old male, 20 pounds over weight, with a small hernia in the left groin, who eats plenty of fiber (I eat a vegan diet), but has been suffering from hard stools for the past couple of years since the hernia showed up. I drink a lot of water, and that helped for a while, but now it doesn't. MiraLAX helps most of the time, but I don't want to keep taking laxatives. I do spend a lot of time sitting because of my job which seems to put a lot of pressure on the rectum.

The problem is that I have a perfectly normal transit time, from 8-24 hours. 2-3 bowel movements a day. Yet often I get these large hard stools that are difficult and painful to pass. This has caused hemorrhoids and fissures that will cause some bright red blood on the outside of the stools occasionally when passing very large hard stools that really stretch the rectum. It's always the first part of the stool that is hard.

For the past 7 weeks my stools went back to being soft and normal without using the MiraLAX, and I thought I had finally gotten over this. But over the past week it's back again.

Question: What could possibly cause these large hard stools, even though there is normal transit time? Any ideas?

*I should also mention that three years ago I was diagnost with Hashimoto's Disease(Hypothyroidism).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Do you drink plenty of water?
|

replied April 16th, 2009
Problem with large hard stools
Hi zigemyster.
Yeah, first thing in the morning I drink a large glass of water, and occasionally through out the day. Before bed I drink another 2 large glasses of water. This used to help for a while, but makes little difference now.

If something was in the way, like a blockage, and slowing it down, I could understand the hard stools. But my transit times are quite fast. That's why I can't figure this out. And I had a series of upper & lower abdominal area x-rays a couple of years ago, and they said everything looked perfectly fine.

It's as if my lower intestines is absorbing water from the stools way too fast.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Anybody??
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Sad
|

replied May 11th, 2009
Anybody??
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Have you sought a 2nd or 3rd opinion?
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
Are you medicated for your hypothyroidism? I would assume that you are, but maybe your dosage needs to be checked?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect I have hypothyroidism. I have the same exact problem with my stools, hard at the beginning, even though I eat lots of fiber. My constipation problems and the subsequent pain from hard stools has gotten worse over the year since my son was born and I have many family members with hypothyroidism. Other symptoms, too.

You have probably figured it out by now, though.
|

replied November 29th, 2009
I'd suggest menopause, but I don't think so in your case - probably a matter of exercise and diet. I had this problem. Eat more fiber, and get more exercise, and drink enough water. Also, products made from very fine whole wheat flour like semolina can be even more binding than anything else.
|

replied April 25th, 2010
hello ,
have you found the reason? please share..
|

replied March 24th, 2014
i am in early 50s. and had fissure issue for years.
everytime the stool in the beginning is hard and big.

it caused the tears everytime with fresh blood when goto washroom. it's very painful.
i followed the instructions in another thread.
I take 1000mg Flaxseed oil once in the mornign and once in the evening, plus Vitamin C chewable tablet. the 2nd day, my stool is soft and never had issue.
it works really well.

i tried various method: taking more fibers, taking Metamucil with lots of water. none of them works well.
|