Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

large bulge/lump on the front/top of my left thigh

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I have a large bulge/lump on the front/top of my left thigh.. it's visibly obvious, protruding about an inch or more above normal surface level of leg and compared to right thigh.. I do have a history of cancer in my family, I have had two surgeries in the past four years to remove pre-cancerous cells/tissue. Once from my cervix and then a surgical excision to remove tissue, following a mole biopsy that was pre-cancerous.. I was then diagnosed by the dermatologist with Atypical Nevus Syndrome, I have 20 or so moles that need checked regularly.. It's been 3 years since I was last checked, I have an appt with a new derm in 4 months.. But this lump in my thigh has me concerned. I first noticed it about a year ago, it was much smaller, painless..so I dismissed it. Now it's become about the size of an egg or golfball and my leg is hurting more and more..I'm worried this may be pressing on a nerve. I have an appt with my reg doc next week.. What questions should I ask, what tests do I ne

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2012
(online)
Skin Answer A35879
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the lump on the thigh which has been present for one year.

The most common cause of such lump under the jaw is swollen lymph node. Lymph nodes are small (1-2cm) and bean-shaped nodes. They are very important to your body keeping you healthy. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). Since you are having a history of atypical nevus syndrome, so definitely this needs to be evaluated. The pain that you are having is due to the compression of the nerves supplying the area by the swollen bump.

The second possibility is of a benign or malignant growth. My sincere advice is to consult a physician and get it evaluated. CT scan of the area and fine needle aspiration cytology and biopsy will help in confirming the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.