Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Large belly but small weight gain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Am confused and worried.

I am 29wks pregnant and I am very-very large (I am the same size as my friend who is 40wks and about to give birth). However, I have not put on a lot of actual weight.

Info on me:
I was a normal body weight when I got pregnant.
I have been big through the pregnancy showing already at 8wks.
When weighed at 26wks I had only put on 3kilos.
All tests done at 20wks showed normal baby size and normal amniotic fluid.
Baby is sitting very low in my pelvis

If there some other reason that my belly is so large? What could it indicate? Any problems? None of the answers I have found on the internet answer my questions as I am not overweight and have not gained a lot of weight during pregnancy which seems to be the normal answer to why my belly is so large.

Please advice!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Experienced User
is this your first baby? if it isnt your first baby and your friend who is 40 weeks if this is her first baby then the answer is nothing to worry about when you have a second baby you are bigger than you were with your first it has something to do with your womb being allready stretched but with your first you have stong muscles that need to be stretched.If this is not the case you should ask your care giver next time your there but i really wouldnt worry too much sounds like your nice and healthy also if it is your first baby maybe you just feel bigger if you are small and thin good luck and take care Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Thanks for the reply and advice. This is my first baby so not had my muscles stretched before. I wouldn't say I was thin before I got pregnant just 'normal' a UK size 10/12.

Am seeing my midwife next week, am going to ask her about it then but it has been so much on my mind that I wanted to get some feedback on here.

It doesn't help that everyone keeps asking me if I am having twins or they look stunned and struggle for words when I say I still have 11weeks to go - EVERYONE comments on how big I am.

I put the post on here to try and get some balance, some feedback on whether anyone else went through this, and if it indicates something I am unaware of but at the end of the day - I LOVE MY BUMP - my baby kicks all the time and my husband loves my body and my big belly. Am just trying to quell that little annoying voice in the back of my mind that keeps telling me 'you're not normal'!
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Supporter
Moonblom,

Congratulations on becoming a mom soon! It's the most wonderful feeling in the world. you know, everyone carries differently and as long as you are feeling that baby kick I wouldn't worry about it. I had the opposite problem. My stomach didn't grow until I was 8 months with my first and I had a small belly with the second right up to the ninth month. Nobody would believe me that I was pregnant. My water broke in the 8th month and my stomach went totally flat. My son was a little early, but healthy. Enjoy your baby bump and relax, everyone is different.

Good Luck!!
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Congratultions
My aunt started showing before her 3 months with her baby and everything was normal. baby was healthy and so was my aunt. Sometimes different woman grow at different paces and so does the baby. Congratulations though
|

replied June 17th, 2009
I am 20 weeks and I look about 6-7 months... only gained about 5 pounds, too. DR isn't concerned! I think it doesn't help that my breasts have not really gotten bigger yet, they've 'filled in', but I am the same size still, I think that b/c my breasts havent grown is only making my bump look even bigger!
|

replied June 18th, 2009
yeah my friend had that happen. her boobs didn't grow until the very end of her pregnacy.
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2009
I had the same, I started showing really early into my pregnancy and was huge by the time I gave birth, with hardly any weight gain. Although, remember muscle weighs more than fat/baby weight. I found I lost a lot of muscle when I was pregnant as I wasn't as active as before, therefore I think my weight balanced itself out. While I was losing muscle I was gaining baby weight so it was only shown as a small increase on the scales. Hope this helps. Good luck.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Is my belly a normal size?
I have the same problem, I'm 19 wks pregant and so far have only put on 2.kgs, I was 74kgs when I started but I am afraid I am quite big, my belly sticks out like a nice pregant belly but its 'soft' to touch not like my other friends who have just been through their pregancies, is my big belly due to lots of fluid and bubs sitting in my back or do I have something to worry about?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2010
Hello Teegz - thank you to all who answered my original post! Well the good news is that I had my baby boy 10 days early, last year in August, his name is Flynn! He was (and is) healthy and was born a perfect weight 3595grams (7lbs 10oz)- he has grown wonderfully and is a happy 6 months old now. I was absolutly HUGE by the time I gave birth, my belly was like an enormous torpedo stuck out the front - so I was very glad when he decided to come early as I had to get pulled off the couch to stand up...lol... and I also learnt to relax about my size and enjoy my pregnancy... to be honest I sometimes miss that big belly and feeling him kick inside me! I put on a little more weight at the end of the pregnancy but thankfully have lost it all now, and even though my belly was so big I only have a very few small stretch marks (thanks to oiling my belly every day and night) I would not worry about the soft belly, mine was a little like that too until about 20wks- just make sure you get all the check-ups and scans and ask your midwife about your concerns now, don't wait, just ask to talk to someone, so you can put your mind at rest. That is what I did. Anyway - good luck and please email me if you want to talk anymore about this...I am happy to talk to you. Best Lara
|