Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Laproscopic Hernia - Recovery Time (Page 1)

Hello all,

Had surgery 10 days ago (election day to be exact) to fix a non-bulging (but painful) inguinal hernia and an umbilical hernia. From what I'd read on many sites, recovery should be pretty quick from this surgery and I'd be feeling better after a week or so. Obviously, if I'm posting here, that has not been my case. I have quite a bit of pain on my right flank from the lower abdomen all the way down to the testicle. I'm still popping the painkiller (Hydrocodone aka Vicodin) but trying to minimize due to the constipation. In addition to the right flank pain, I feel very bloated across my entire abdomen. As my bladder fill up, I have increasing pain until I go to the bathroom. Also, prior to relieving my bowels, I have increased pressure and pain across my entire abdomen.

Are these pains consistent with others and did relief come in time or should I get on the phone with the Dr. I'm not scheduled to see him until 11/25?

Much thanks for replys, Tom
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kenyam
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Tom,

THe surgery to repair an inguinal hernia is called a herniorrhaphy; if reinforced with steel mesh or wire, the procedure as called a hernioplasty. It may be as long as four to six weeks before you're able to fully resume your normal activities. But laparoscopic repair include less discomfort and scarring after surgery and a quicker return to normal activities — most people are back to work within a few days. As every body (and everybody) is different, you might just have a longer recovery time.

Rest up and consult with your doc next week. Are you able to totally relax?
|

replied November 17th, 2008
Laproscopic Hernia - Recovery Time
Thank you.......

I understand there are some differences in recovery time; however, as the pain in my pelvic region has been going on for almost 2 years (during which time I also had two hip surgeries, that may or may not have been necessary, including a Labrectomy and Osteochondroplasty), I'm becoming less and less patient.

I've tried to walk my share to break up scar tissue, etc. but really having pretty much all the same symptoms as I had pre-surgery (and all the way back to Jan '07).......tightness and pain from the lower abdomen down to the groin then down the leg......mostly pinching/burning sensation........additionally exacerbated by ejaculation.

With regard to relaxing, I'd say that the pain, particularly when sitting, makes it really hard to relax in general.

Is it possible that it's just a nerve that's the issue (and that standing and sitting are the ways in which it gets aggrevated).....and that a neurologist might be in order (possibly he/she could give me a nerve block or something).

As always, replies grealy appreciated, Tom
|

replied December 13th, 2008
Hernia pain
Hi Tom, I had an inguinal hernia repair 5 days ago, they used a mesh method which I think is better than the stitches I had last time 16 years ago. I have a lot of pain when standing or when walking around. Mostly in my lower abdomen under the pubic bone area. It is best described by imagine tying a tight thin wire round your testicles, adding a 5lbs weight then going for a walk. Also after ariving home on the night of the operation, I went to bed and at 0300 got up to go to the bathroom, as we do. I must have collapsed as I found myself coming round on the bathroom floor with a large bump on my head where I came into contact with the handbasin. Next morning I rang my local hospital but they hadn't got an answer.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
I had an umbilical hernia repair. It was also ten days ago. I just called in another week of sick leave. I am also still popping the painkiller Lotrim 2 pills every six hours. The pain is so great I can't eat unless I swallow pills to take the pain away. Pretty frustrating =) Just wanted the galbladder out, not the hernia repair with a mesh. I don't know what to do about that plastic in my gut.
|

replied September 12th, 2009
Injuinal Hernia Op
Gday all Just had an Injuinal hernia repaired 4 days ago, man is it sore.
I find that when I first get out of bed it is really sore tearing burning type sore and I can only manage a bent over type shuffle with the odd occasional stop with my hands on my thighs, while I contemplate passing out from the wave of pain, this is alleviated by sitting down.
The second attempt to walk is somewhat better and more distance is covered before the pain returns, and boys I am talking bedroom to living room as a longer walk here not home to railway station.
I was given pain killers from hospital, which I find useless they seem to dull the sences blotting out much else and allowing you to savour the intense pain with greater clarity, call me a cynic.
I sympathise with you all here and it does seem as if we are all suffering the same way which is a bit of a relief as there appears to be nothing out of the ordinary between my symptoms times etc and yours.
As the pain of standing to pee is like trying to kill ones self slowly with a hot poker inserted into the scrotum, I suggest we adopt a more female approach and sit down, its far less painfull.
As a final note here if you can get through the day while the missus is at work and the kids at school, you can be rewarded in the evenings by the ministrations of a good woman (THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR ME VIRGINIA) and a fine bottle of red...or white...or both.
My heart goes out to you all, and I will now raise a glass of Hardys Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 to you all,
Cheers boys and a speedy recovery
|

replied September 12th, 2009
I think I am finally better
It is september 12, and my surgery was for an umbilical hernia and gal bladder removal was June 27th. I ran for the first time yesterday and the minor aches and pains have finally subsided. I have found that I can not eat nearly as much sugar as I used to, or other unhealthy foods. All in all I feel much better than I did before my surgery and I am happy to report that exactly for a minor twinge here and there I cannot feel the mesh either.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Inguinal Hernia recovery
I had two inguinal hernia repairs done laproscopically on Dec. 21. A week later I started walking on the treadmill every other day. I continued using ice on my abdomen every half hour to keep the swelling down. On week two, I started running for 15 min and walking for 10 min. every day. Now, starting week four, I am up to 25 min. and walking 10 min.and no swelling. During this time period I have not lifted anything over 10 lbs. and recovery has gone really good. I too, had my gall bladder removed three years before and at the time this took a few more weeks to recover from and I believe this was due to my organs settling. I still at times have bouts of upset stomach or extra reading on the toilet. All in all, these surgeries went well. I feel the exercise portion followed by the use of ice and rest made tremendious differences.
|

replied February 8th, 2010
I had an inguinal hernia done laproscopically (noticable bulge and painful on left side) on the 5th of feb. I feel very fortunate as I was able to climb the stairs to my bedroom relatively pain free on the same day. It is now the third day and I was able to walk 1/4 mile (1/8 mile each way) to get the mail. No problems with my bowels or urinating either. Tomorrow is the fourth day and I will probably go to work for half a day. I wonder how much the surgeon's skill level factors into the recovery as I do not feel like there is any other good reason for my easy recovery .
|

replied August 24th, 2010
Laprascopic Hernia repair
i had surgery 2 weeks ago , how long should it be b4 i can do HEAVY lifting?
|

replied June 20th, 2011
I had mine 31/2 wks ago (4 wks on thurs) and was told 3-4 months b4 you can do any heavy lifting. I also have 6 incisions all over my belly..
|

replied June 18th, 2011
I had a double inguanil repaired laparscopically 3 weeks ago. I was up and moving around that day and stooped the hydrocodone that day. The only bad part of the surgery was the swelling testicles that were the size of baseballs. That subsided after about a week. Now, I periodically get a twinge or some pain in the areas of the hernia's which they tell me is normal. Also I get a bit of swelling in my testicles. I'm not sure how long to expect this to occur. Any help anyone???
|

replied November 26th, 2011
Laporoscopic hernia repair (mesh)
I had a double laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair (mesh) two years ago now. My experience was really a good one. I have heared many stories and bad experiences on the internet and I thought it was about time that someone posted a good one on here. So at first I was quite anxious about the procedure but soon put any fears I had to rest when I consulted my surgeon. He assured me that the process was quite common and quite an easy surgery to perform. I was in and out within a day, The car drive home was a very careful one to say the least (do not do this yourself) initially the repair caused a little pain for about two weeks and I had about 3 weeks total recovery time. In the 2nd week I also experienced some fever and aching in my testicles, especially the side that was operated on (left) but this soon subsided. The operation left 3 very small incision scars, One in my belly button and two about 7" or so either side. A little bruising around these areas but no other effect other than that. I can hardly notice them now. After about 6 weeks I had very little or no pain at all. I am very active and this has not stopped me doing anything I would have normally done, work, home or play... My surgeon was Chris Sutton at the Spire hotpital Leicester. Very pleased with the results.
|

replied November 26th, 2011
Experienced User
If you have two 7" scars, then this was not a lap repair. Scars that long indicate an open repair. Wow...7 inches! I had an open repair but my scar is only 3 inches long.
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Ha ha, no I meant 7" apart. The scar is a few millimetres.......... Wink
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Laparascopic Hernia Surgery
I have been reading through inguinal hernia posts for a few months now, about 6 actually. I have had a laparascopic surgery on my inguinal hernia recently. I found that blogs were a) very comforting and informative on the processes and what to expect and more importantly b) very good in letting me know what to do post surgery, since surgeons and doctors throw a blanket rule of "lift nothing for 6 weeks" across all surgeries and for very actice people literally give you NOTHING to work with. Through blog reading I have discovered that some professionals and other people that have had the surgery do infact advise walking, cycling etc.

This is my blog to give something back to the FORUM world, this is just my experience so far, please feel free to make comment or ask any questions.

PRE OPERATION

I play a LOT of basketball, I also go to the gym every day for 1 hour, until this point only doing weights routines as the cardio workout I get from playing ball keeps my weight down, according to overweight people TOO far down. I am a 33 year old male, work an office job and I can't sit down, so when i'm not working i am very active. I felt what i thought originally was a tear in my upper left quad, I did it during a bball game and knew something was wrong, but figured it would go away. The actual pain did go away breifly, however over the next few weeks of playing bball, and doing weights I found that my speed and jumping ability was less, and the weights i was lifting were decreasing. I went to a physio who immediately starting rehabbing what she described as an adductor strain. This seemed to work for a while, but eventually did not, and during a game of bball i felt a RIP across my lower abs. Assuming I had torn something I then took a couple of weeks off bball, kept up with light gym work, and started eating anti inflammatory drugs flat out (along with a bag of psyllium husk a week for stooling purposes). On and off for a month I tried to battle my torn muscles, then I decided to go to one of my Bulk Billing doctors, and tell them I wanted a referral to get an ultrasound done to check for a hernia, as my twin brother and father had both gotten hernia in recent years (doctor reluctantly did this, EVEN THOUGH their touch stomach and cough test didn't work!). Turns out I had a hernia...

Then I got a referral to see a surgeon, who told me that if he were in my situation he would look into whatever is possible NOT to undertake surgery.... so I went and saw what is the top sports physio on the coast, his general advice was that there is no fixing it, however since i would be on a waiting list as i am not paying for the operation, i could try strengthening the abdominal walls (most doctors / physios automatically assume the patient doesn't already do ab work). so i spent the 3 months that I was on the waiting list for surgery doing ab work, straight and side planks, sit ups, leg raises, crunch's, etc. etc. At times I would think that this was helping, so I would go off the anti inflammatory's, but as soon as the drugs wore off the pain was back. So I had surgery when my time came, which is now 3 weeks ago today. NOTE, no matter what i did and what i thought was helping, in hindsight, it was only every the celebrex that i was on that improved anything.

OPERATION

So, surgery on the 30th of January. It was an afternoon surgery booked for 1 pm. At 1 the anethesist put in the catheter (spelling?!) and told me they were putting something in that was to prep my to knock me out, this must have been an anethesist's joke as i woke up at 3:30. The surgery was to take about 45 minutes, so I was a little concerned that mine had taken 2 and a half hours. I was hopeful to go home that arvo, but at 8pm when wifey came to get me I was told I would have to pass urine to go home, so I stood up and then fell over. Got back into bed and told wifey to go home, I was so dizzy and light headed I couldn't stand initially, this wore off by midnight, but the next check out time was 10am. SO, the next morning when the surgeon comes around to discuss the surgery with me (along with the 9 students following him) I am told that my surgery was fine, a little harder than first thought as my spermatic cord was protruding through the hernia and had some calcification?! The surgeon also commented that my abdominal wall was very muscly, and that my blood pressure was only low as I am very fit. This was encouraging at first as my first thoughts were that I may be able to get back on the horse quicker than others, but when I asked him about recovery he booked me an appointment for 4 weeks time (next week) and gave me the blanket "don't lift anything over 3 kg's". To me that seemed and still seems a little bogus, given that 3 kg's is a 3 litre milk container. I do however realise the doctor's restrictions in giving recovery advice, particularly given every man and his dog want to sue people these days. So I go home, with the pain killer prescription of panadol and nurofen (over the counter drugs, I had MUCH more impressive stuff at home anyway).

POST OPERATION

DAY 1 The morning I get home, at this point i am on very low pain killers. I am confined to bed rest (couch) and really wish a) i had not annoyed the pay t.v. people that have black banned me and b) had not used up all of this month's internet. In the mid arvo I decided to take my dog for a walk, where I stand there in the park and she chases everything that moves. Walking felt pretty good, it was the sitting up in normal position that hurt. My abs killed me to cough and sneeze, and even at this point I couldn't clear my throat without extreme pain. At the end of the pain killer 4 hours it definitely felt worse, so I was on these all day.

DAY 2

Woke up with definitely less pain, sitting in normal position still hurt, but lying flat was okay. I went for a light stroll that day with only slight pain, coughing and sneezing were still not going to happen. It is about this day that the local anaesthetic was to wear off and cause a little pain, otherwise I would have gone off the pain killers.

DAY 3 AND THE REST OF THE WEEK, I went off pain killers, went for a walk every day, getting up to a few kilometres with very little pain. Within a week i could lie on my back and lift one leg off the bed at a time without the burning sensation that my hernia would give me. Probably not the best idea to have these little "tests" on yourself, but I couldn't help it.

WEEK 2, after spending lots of time reading physio and other patient blogs I had given myself a rehab program. As outlined earlier, my doctor / surgeon wouldn't help. I found that having a program to at least work with allowed me to remain positive, and actually restricted what I did to what I had planned. So for the week I spend 40 minutes walking, not power walking but enough to sweat a little, followed by a hamstring and lower back stretch. Cough was at this stage easier, clearing my throat was possible, sneezing still hurts a little. No drugs since day 2. No other pains to speak of.

WEEK 3, according to my rehab plan (actually it was found on a physio website of triathletes in the US somewhere) i was able to commence cycling for 40 minutes, and doing a raised leg ab crunch and a pelvic tilt routine (mild). Ensuring no pain in hernia area. I also commenced light leg muscle stretching. On the Friday however I decided to go for a light jog, I was happy to jog until anything hurt, and nothing did. I ended up jogging about 6klms, and felt good at the end of it. HOWEVER, the next morning I was walking to an appointment and felt a burn in the hernia site, and SHAT myself thinking that my light jog had some come damage. Through reading a lot more blogs I found that some pain in the hernia / surgery sites was somewhat common up until a month or longer post surgery, so that information was enough to put my mind at ease. Now the start of the 4th week and that burning pain has come and gone a couple of times. Does anyone else get this pain on walking? Like a burning sensation with on the hernia point... I have also since felt a similar pain lower down towards the scrotum, similar again on the opposite side, also alleviating some of my concerns that I had damaged the hernia.

WEEK 4, Starting today. According to my rehab plan I was to start jogging today, continue doing the raised knee crunch's, pelvic tilts, and start introducing light "planks". Since the recent SHITTING of myself, I am now just going to continue cycling for another week and do what I did in week three, as my follow up appointment with the surgeon is next monday.

Thanks for reading, sorry if it was too long... I will update with further information in a few weeks and give feedback on whether or not the rehab I did was a good idea...

Cheers, Dubah

NOTE, THIS REHAB WAS FOUND ON A BLOG, AND ISN'T BASED ON MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE AT ALL, JUSTME TRYING TO GET BACK INTO EXERCISE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND I HAVE BEEN VERY CAREFULL NOT TO DO ANYTHING THAT ACTUALLY HURT.
|

replied March 11th, 2012
Thanks so much for your post.I had surgery on February 16,2012 and am still hurting a bit.My surgeon just said "you will walk funny for a few weeks but resume your normal lifestyle.I had a double hernia plus some complication with an old surgery where lesions had to be cut out.
I was just about to call the Doc until I found this site because WEB MD says about 2-3 weeks and I for darn sure am not fully recovered.I am also 62 years old.
Bottom line;a 45 minute surgery morphed into a 3 hour surgery so I guess I may have to give it a while longer.
Thanks very much
Rick D
|

replied March 11th, 2012
Double Hernia Recovery time
Thanks so much for your post.I had surgery on February 16, 2012 and am still hurting a bit.My surgeon just said "you will walk funny" for a few weeks but resume your normal lifestyle.I had a double hernia plus some complications with an old surgery where lesions had to be cut out.
I was just about to call the Doc until I found this site because WEB MD says about 2-3 weeks and I for darn sure am not fully recovered.I am also 62 years old.
Bottom line;a 45 minute surgery morphed into a 3 hour surgery so I guess I may have to give it a while longer.
Thanks very much
Rick D
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Found this forum most helpful so for what it is worth here is my experience so far...Hernia popped out in November and I immediately knew what lay ahead as I had right side hernia open surgery about 11 years ago. I ran a 10k road race 10weeks after that surgery.
I had laproscopic surgery on left side 5 days ago, with a struggle recovering from the general anaesthetic but was allowed home the next morning.I have been "lucky" so far in that I have not needed any painkillers and from day three have been able to walk unrestricted...reckon I'll do about 2 to 3 miles today.Bowel and bladder movements are fully back to normal and I can't wait to get back to running again.
The Operation was carried out at Ayr National Health Service Hospital and I cannot speak too highly of my treatment...in fact I am amazed at my progress.
Please note that if you are given the option of open or lapro go for lapro every time.
One final point is perhaps very relevent...I had trained since diagnosis towards a half marathon (due next Sunday)with the aim of being really fit before the operation. I did not know how long the waiting list would be and thought that fitness would assist recovery..it surely has... and guys I am a bit younger than some of you as I am only 61years and 11 months old.
|

replied May 7th, 2012
Me too... really soon.
I'll be having a laparoscopic repair with mesh 8 days from now (on 15 May 2012). I'm hoping to keep notes through the first 3 weeks and post them here.

Like Dubah above, I've spent a while getting info from other people's experiences, and I'm guessing that this knowledge will help a little.

UNlike Dubah, I'm 52 years old and while "healthy" and somewhat active, I have MS and haven't exercised a great deal in years. I walk a quarter mile or more every day, I cycle a mile or less once or twice a week, and that's pretty much the entire extent of my "fitness training regimen" over the past decade or so.

I've never had trouble with anaesthesia, I've generally recovered quickly from surgery, and I normally tolerate pain pretty well (aside from it making me really grumpy), so I'm not troubled at all... I'm just not looking forward to hurting for a while and having to be patient about it.

Stay tuned. Smile
|

replied May 16th, 2012
Re: Me too... really soon.
Surgeon decided to do an open repair instead of laparosopic, as she apparently is more comfortable with it in minor repairs. 35 minutes in OR, an hour in recovery room, and another hour and a half waiting for them to let me go home. Pretty wiped from anaesthesia when I got home, but climbed the two flights up without difficulty, managed some food and lots of water overnight, and even got a few 1-2 hour sleeps in.

Day one post-surgery:

There's very little pain -just a mild ache- when I'm still (lying, reclining in chair) or walking slowly... and not much when sitting, getting up or getting flat... but even clearing my throat huts like hell unless I hold considerable pressure over the incision, and I can't *imagine* how I'll deal with a cough, let alone a sneeze.

So far, so good!
|

replied May 17th, 2012
Day two post-surgery:

All the fidgety "worn-outness" from anaesthesia is over and done with, the pain meds are doing a perfect job, I slept like a baby all night (but for waking on alarm to take pills on schedule), and aside from a sneeze an hour ago (**OUCH**!!!!!), there's very little pain and not a lot of discomfort. Little pain means I'm not grumpy or impatient, so mood is just fine. Smile

I'm eating lightly but very well and have been since I got back from the hospital, I've been down to the garden this morning (I live two floors up) and replaced -with germinated seeds- a couple of Scarlet Runners whose sprouts were eaten by millipedes before they got properly started, and I'm about to go for a walk around the block... about a quarter mile.

Peeing is easy (though too bloody frequent), pooping is slow and a bit painful but easily managed due to super high fiber diet for 6 days and counting, and I woke with a full and proper erection this morning... so, all nearby plumbing is in order and nothing's "wrong" that I can tell.

Only "problem" so far is that I have no skin sensation at all in a roughly 3"x5" trapezoid below/left-of the incision. I assume much of this will get back to normal, but the area's large enough that I think some of the loss of sensation will be permanent. Not as big a nuisance as any of the sensory problems MS has sent my way over the years, so not worth worrying about.

Onward and upward. Smile
|

replied May 18th, 2012
DAY 3...
... and this is all going so well that I'm wondering what/where the catch is.

Slept great again last night, I stopped the anti-inflammatory last night for a day or two while I wean from the painkiller, then I'll take the AI for 2-3 days to keep swelling an irritation down... I don't really need any pain meds at all right now as long as I don't move around very much... but some kinds of motion (as well as coughing) are painful enough that it's best not to feel it all.

There's a little swelling around the incision, but not much and nothing painful or indicative of infection... however, the blood from that swelling is seeping downward as a bruise and my peepee's turning purple. Expected and not a bad thing, but really - I just don't wanna *see* !**@! like that. Smile

Just got back from a 10 block walk (5 each way) to the store for a chocolate bar... tired me out a bit, but otherwise I'm just fine.

Except for things that put real strain on the repair site (lifting, sneezing, and such), it feels like I'm gonna be pretty much back to normal in just a couple more days.
|
12 >>