Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Lack of attention span

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post a topic relating to attention span and what ideas people have on counteracting the problem.

My situation.....

I have always had an issue with being able to concentrate. I was the kid who got the report card at school "has so much potential if he could stop interrupting the class". This lack of ability to hold my concentration has continued on to my working life.

This of course has caused me all sorts of dramas in my working life as I have been through quite a number of jobs now.

I have recently come back to work after 4 months off seeking treatment. This is my second week back and I am having a seriously hard time concentrating. I am doing approx 2 hours max of work a day out of 8 hours here. My mind just seems to be racing in other directions. I do nothing buy daydream (apparently this is the aspect of me that is narccistic as I constantly day dream about me being this amazingly successful guy). The day dreams are just getting ridiculous and consuming so much of my time. But I cant stop them. My day dreams are the part of me that make me happy. But I am now living in a dream world.

My work love me as I some how managed to hide all this from them (I dont know how). But I fear that it wont go on and I will again be forced to look for work and start again.....it is a never ending cycle and it has to stop.

I cant live like this anymore as its driving me crazy.

Deep down I am an intelligent guy but feel I am never going to get to blossom.

Am I destined to live this life the way I am now?

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper krkanter
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Lack of Attention
I agree with you i have that problem also my pdoc told me that it could be due to my depakote levels being low and what makes matters worse i have adhd. I wouldnt tell your work about your disorder because they may try to let you go and try to use the excuse of the economy. I made the mistake and told my boss about my bipolar disorder when i stayed at Ridgeview that he laid me off he told me to my face he didnt want a crazy person working in his office which he didnt realize i had recorded him saying that on my blackberry. Now I am going through the lovely court procedures because what he did was unfair. Hope this helps
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2009
Experienced User
What I dont understand is that I can concentrate on thing I enjoy.

I can easily sit and watch a couple movies in a row. I could watch a couple games of footy. But when it comes to something I dont love I cant hold my concentration at all.

Does anyone else have this problem.

Am I just lazy?

Am I just a loser who cant hold down a job?
|

replied March 30th, 2012
Omg this is exactly how i feel!!!What is this?? A sickness? And its because of this i dnt have much knowledge on top of being a little slow in learning. I just feel so dumb and I'm just spacing out all the time. If this is how life is, sometimes i feel like whats the point of me being born on this earth in the first place!!!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
Lack of Attention
Well I found out that my depakote levels were extremley low and even taking that with adderall didnt even help me all. I cant hold my concentration with my husbands parents because they just smother me and treat me different. I dont think you are lazy maybe you should avoid the things you dont like or maybe you could have symptoms of Adult ADD or ADHD. Dont feel bad i work at a place where they teach kids to swim when i cant swim let alone myself and its part time. The economy has us all screwed up and it frustrates me.
|