Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

L-Tyrosine? I seem to have more mental energy, focus...

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
Recently I started taking L-Tyrosine supplements. L-Tyrosine is said to boost the production of the neurotransmitters: Dopamine & Norepinephrine. These are what ADD/ADHD medications like Adderall Stimulate the abundance of in the brain. Though Adderall doesn't actual make these transmitters they help raise the levels. You can wiki more about it. Anyway, I've been taking L-Tyrosine for a few days now and noticed that I seem to have more mental energy, focus, and all around good sensation in my body. I have wondered if this was a Placebo Effect but it's too noticeable to be ignored. I was wondering if anyone else has tried L-Tyrosine tables/supplements and what your results were/are? PS I may have undiagnosed ADD/ADHD but like most people these days I'm interested in that extra mental energy and focus. For a very long time I've been hooked on caffeine but with sad results. Coffee & other energy drinks help a little in small amounts but often leaves me feeling jittery, nervous, and unfocused despite all the energy. It's seems to cause ADD/ADHD in even people that don't have an Attention Deficit (not just me). Sure your mind races but it's unfocused and even if you do force yourself to focus it's still hard to study. So I like most people are becoming ever discouraged about caffeine and are turning towards alternatives. I know L-Tyrosine alone may not be enough for some people. But I'd like to hear what your opinion(s) are of this product. Also any other supplements out there that aid in mental & physical energy (CNS energy). OH, and PSS I've tried Focus Factor with little to no results.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 27th, 2012
L-Thyrosine is apparently also great for kids with ADHD or concentration, mood problems and the dose is 50mg instead of adult dosage. I use a supplement for my daughter with ADHD and results were instant.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
PS
I also have been trying Methylhexan found in "Real Two Way Action" by Stacker2 however I don't like all the caffeine and other stuff they put in. I'd like to find Methylhexan by itself in a product without all those other stimulants that make me feel nervous.
|

replied January 10th, 2013
l-tyrosine a life saver for adhd inattentive type
My 15 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD, inattnetive type, and put on Adderall. He's 6' tall and dropped to 110 pounds, developed horrible anxiety, tremors and heart palpitations. We stopped the adderall. He has also been diagnosed with social anxiety, OCD and depression. He is very forgetful and get easily agitated. I recently asked him to try l-tyrosine, 500mg in the morning with a B-50 complex 1/2 hour before food. The change was so fast it was hard to believe. He became less anxious, handled disappointment and school challenges better, is more focused, social with the family, pleasant, seems much happier. I added 500 mg of tryptophan...big mistake..he did not like how it made him feel and refused the tyrosine the next day. He had a terrible day. Was unable to do school work, anxious, angry. I asked him to please try the tyrosine again and promised we would never use tryptophan again. He reluctantly agreed and within a day was back to his happy, relaxed self. We used to have to remind him to bring plates to the kitchen after meals, SEVERAL times, now he does it without being asked even once. He would have a hard time remembering what he had for lunch, now he recalls easily without anger. Planning to do more research butthis can't be placebo, he wasn't paying attention to what I was giving him, and others have commeneted on the change. So far this appears to be a life saver for him.
|

replied July 16th, 2013
I just started using l-tyrosine for myself and my daughter who has ADD a couple of days ago. She is 13; We have tried Adderall, Stratera for my daughter for the last 5 years and they made her depressed, aggressive and antisocial. She stopped using them recently but we did not know where to turn. I looked into l-tyrosine and so far so good. I do see an improvement in her attitude. She is like more present and less absent. It’s summer now so it’s hard to tell how it would go with school work. She is also taking a multi-vitamin and omega-3 but read that your son takes B-50 complex and was wondering if I should add this too. Maybe I’ll try it on myself first. Would taking l-tyrosine B-50 complex, multi-vitamin and omega 3 be too much?
|

replied November 19th, 2013
I really want to get off of my ADD medication. After reading about L-Tyrosine I am willing to give it a try. Worried about it having interactions with the current medications I am taking. I often get irritated easily amongst friends and co-workers. Any withdrawal symptoms from Adderall or any ADD medication? Adderall has lost its effectiveness and I don't want to up the dose. As you can tell I am sick of medications. Sad
|