Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

L5-S1 herniation and urinary hesitancy

A month ago I suffered a herniation in my L5-S1 disc. The pain was excruciating at first and took some vicodin to get through. I also did a 6-day course of prednisone and started knocking back ibuprofen. After 3 or 4 days it started to recede and left me with occasional sciatic nerve pain in my left leg, some lower back pain, very low strength in my left calf and a numb left foot. I can't run and stairs are hard, and I'm walking with a limp. In the first 3 days or so I had a bad case of urinary hesitancy, i.e. it was hard to start peeing. That went away, but after doing a lot of walking over the 4th of July weekend it's back. The pain is also intensifying. I had an MRI 10 days ago and just found out the result - a large herniation (duh). A 2nd MRI was done with a contrast agent yesterday and I'm still waiting on those results. I am going to get the results sent straight to me as well so I have the full story regarding the tests. I have a neurosurgeon appt. in 2 weeks to investigate further (he's on vacation now, that's the 1st avail appt). With the urinary hesitancy and increasing pain, should I seek out another doc who might be available sooner?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 7th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
yes. you certainly need a quick opinion. your situation may need fast action. good luck.....pete
|
Did you find this post helpful?