Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

knot on head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I hit my head today and got a rather large sized knot on it, I guess you would call it goose egg sized. I put ice on it and most of the swelling is down, but now it feels soft, almost squishy like. Like there is fluid in it. And it is a little bit sore when I touch it. And in the middle it feels kinda inward, like it is a dent. But it was hard to begin with. Is this normal. I thought all knots were hard. I am really worried about it. I feel fine. No dizziness, my sight is fine, I walk fine, I talk fine, I feel great, I am just worried about how the bump feels. The soft feeling, like there is blood under the skin. Anything would help, I am really worried about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper melcb2
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
How did this turn out? I think as long as you're feeling normal, no dizziness, no problems with your sight, it's probably fine!
|

knot on head
It had gotten really soft so I went to the hospital. They did a CAT scan and found that it was hematoma. (spelling?) They just gave me some instructions on what to do for swelling. It started at the top left of my forehead and swelled all the way across my forehead (the whole left side) and my nose and eyes. I ended up getting black eyes from it and they didn't show up until after I left the hospital. I still have a slight bump, the black went mostly away. But is still a little bit there at times. It gone for the most part but there is still a slight bump there. But it is hard now instead of soft.
|

replied December 26th, 2011
Can u please call me 9043007675
|

replied December 26th, 2011
Can u please call me 9043007675
|

replied February 9th, 2012
knothead
I had the same problem. CT 2 times showed negative. My accident occured Jan 22, I still have a larger than quarter size knot on my head and massive headache. I was scheduled to see a Neurologist, I am told the hospital does not have a MRI machine( I find that odd- also found that the facial CT scan did not show 2 broken bones in my nose from Oct 2011. I think my chin was fractured in the fall, I can feel the seperation or unevenness of my chin. ) I had to reschule neurologist due to ow having this upper respiratory mess going around. ( I gave neuro office a call to see if they wanted me to come or wait until respiratory is better.
Any suggestions on your part. My head took blunt force trauma into cement curbing in a downhill bike accident. I am 61 yr. Any useful information out there.
|

knothead
I had the same problem. CT 2 times showed negative. My accident occured Jan 22, I still have a larger than quarter size knot on my head and massive headache. I was scheduled to see a Neurologist, I am told the hospital does not have a MRI machine( I find that odd- also found that the facial CT scan did not show 2 broken bones in my nose from Oct 2011. I think my chin was fractured in the fall, I can feel the seperation or unevenness of my chin. ) I had to reschule neurologist due to ow having this upper respiratory mess going around. ( I gave neuro office a call to see if they wanted me to come or wait until respiratory is better.
Any suggestions on your part. My head took blunt force trauma into cement curbing in a downhill bike accident. I am 61 yr. Any useful information out there.
|

knothead
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Glad to hear it's getting better. And you made a great choice to go to the hospital Smile
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Large knot on head
My husband was working cleaning up on some hunting land. He had been driving a bobcat but got out to move some limbs and the tree limb broke and he fell backwards hitting his head on the bobcat. He was dazed and had to just sit down for a while. After that he continued to work but he did have a headache. By the time I found out several hours had passed and he said he was fine and refused to go see a doctor. He did have a large knot on his head which I have heard is a good sign. He has continued to have a headache and I would like him to go have it checkout but of course he is refusing.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it would take to show up if there was a problem? It has now been about 36 hours. The area he hit is still senitive and he is having headaches but other then that he seems fine. Since it has been over 36 hours do you think he is fine? I just feel it wont hurt to have it checked but being the typical man he refuses. What would you suggest? Thanks,
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
I think that he should have it check. I don't think that headaches is very good to have after hitting your head. Especially 36 hours after. It may not hurt to get it look at.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
knot on my son's head
My son fell on the gym floor right and landed on the back of his head a week ago. He had a knot the size of a baseball it has went down to about a size of a golf ball. My question is how long the knot should stay there and if it's something I should be concerned with?
|

replied March 28th, 2009
Try putting ice on it. Thats what the doctor told me to do for my swelling. If it doesnt start going down in like a week then maybe have it checked out. But it shouldnt take too long for it to start going down a little. If its a hard knot it usually is okay.
|
Users who thank melcb2 for this post: chinettia 

replied September 12th, 2010
My husband fell in the hospital i do no how but they sent him home its been 3 days now and he still is having promblem walking eyes swelled very sleepy wath can i do he wont go back to hospital
|

replied September 21st, 2010
so what can I do for my knot on my head? I'm mostly worried that the swelling won't go down. what should I do?
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
chinettia wrote:
so what can I do for my knot on my head? I'm mostly worried that the swelling won't go down. what should I do?

Have you tried ice at all. And don't take any aspirin. It will thin the blood which could cause more trouble.
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
ouch
how about this one...
I got bumped on the head, had a bad knot that went down, but now have a small lump on the side of my head that I can feel my pulse through. Been there for about a month...dime sized, i feel like i can move it around?
|