Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Knot lump on side of neck

User Profile
I am 26 years old. Just had my first child about 3 months ago. The other day I was rubbing my neck and I felt a knot like lump. It is located on my left side of my neck - it is on the middle of the neck. I can only feel it of I press down hard on my neck or if I tilt my neck to the right . It is movable and does not hurt to touch it . I dont know if it's related but I have a very dry patch of skin on the leftside of my scalp as well. I don't seem to have antithetical symptoms. I am scared that I have cancer now.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2010
Lymphoma Answer A17351
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.
Your symptoms do not signify any tumors or cancers. Symptoms like persistant loss of weight, low appetite, difficulty swallowing, etc are some symptoms that you lack, which would arouse the suspicion of any cancer.
A painless small lump in the middle or the left side of the neck could seem to be associated with the thyroid gland. A movable small lump in the neck could also be a benign thyroglossal cyst.
Presence of irregular periods, excess bleeding during periods, skin dryness, hair loss could be signs of a thyroid hormone excess. Conducting blood tests to detect thyroid disorder and further evaluation may be beneficial in this situation.
You might consider consultation with a GP or a endocrinologist who will evaluate the neck swelling and also initiate the necessary treatment if necessary.
I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.