Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

knee pain with cramping

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Can someone please help me! A week and a half ago my knees staretd hurting me. I ignored it thinking that I may have lifted something wrong (even though I couldnt think of what). Well it has gotten worse. It doesnt hurt when I walk but when I go from standing to sitting or vice versa it is extremely painful. At night I experience VERY bad cramps in my knees. I cant kneel down. And I can barely go down stairs half the time. I am taking Aleve and it barely helps at all. Could I be getting Arthritis? Am I to young for Arthritis?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper joeyann29
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2008
Supporter
How old are you?

I'm 33 and have arthritis due to knee injury and surgery. IT's possible that you DID injure your knees so I would encourage you to seek help from an orthopedist for an exam and analysis. IF necessary, the orthopedist will order an Xray and/or MRI to visualize possible internal damage.
|

replied April 20th, 2011
Same here
I have the same thing. It started a year ago. It lasted for a few months and went away. Now it's causing me trouble again. Did you see a doctor? I don't have insurance, so I can't do much about getting a diagnosis from an xray or mri. What did your problem turn out to be?
|

replied April 30th, 2011
I have an osteochondral defect in my knee with 3 loose bodies floating around - two of which regularly get stuck around my knee cap an dleave me in excruiating pain. However, whenever I get these leg cramps I usually wake up not only with these bodies back under my knee cap, but also find that I can bend me knee much better the next morning.

Any help would be great for me?
|

replied May 16th, 2011
i am experiencing this same thing. its been 7 days that I am having a severe cramp and pain in my right knee and legs. I've went to the dr and the took an x ray and said it was no blood clot and everything was normal. I've been taking ibuprofen that relieves the pain for only a couple hours. Does anyone know what I can do to relieve this pain?
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2011
I have the exact same problem. Mine started a month and a half ago; it doesn't hurt when I walk or stand up but if I have been sitting down for longer than 20 minutes and I've timed it then at first the area director above my kneecap becomes slightly warm then this immense pressure takes over, then a overall pain sets in as if my knee is on fire. When I finally get ready to extend my leg, it feels like I'm getting a Charlie Horse in my knee and after about 3 to 5 minutes of excruciating pain, the crampy feels subsides. Thishappens everything I sit down; I don't have medical insurance so going to the doctor would definitely break the bank. Hopefully someone out there has experienced this before and can give me some insight.
|

replied September 12th, 2012
Knee pain and calf cramping
This has just happened to me! Pain in the knees and severe calf cramping at night. Did anyone find out what was causing this???

I started taking calcium/magnesium before bed because I thought that depletion could be the reason for the cramping...that hasn't helped.

I make sure that I drink more than enough water to rule out dehydration.

I am very active I workout nearly every day. I have never had these issues in the past. I eat very healthy. I am just concerned that there is a mineral deficiency in my diet somewhere, or possibly from non-ergonomically positioned seating at work...I'm out of ideas...someone help!
|

replied June 20th, 2013
I have the same problem. My knee is stiff when I walk but when I go to bed, I get excruciating pain in my knee with muscle cramps above the knee like a Charlie's horse pain. I take ibruprofen and Tylenol but it only helps a bit. It started over three months ago and is not getting any better. Any suggestions from anyone?
|